Tuesday 5 January 2010

Christian? Put aside your brains!

I have to do a bit of tub thumping this evening because apparently being 'sound' or 'orthodox' means that I can no longer question certain views or the people who hold these views. To challenge positions, even when these positions agree with my own views, is a apparently to, "Side with the enemy!" Not only that, but to question the consistently negative views of things that are put forward as fact is to side with the 'naughty people' and is actively pulling down the orthodox position.

I have to say that this is absolute tosh and have to point out, most respectfully, that God gave me a brain to reason with and a tongue to ask questions of others and to put my own position forward. Ears, I have them to listen to the answers that others might give and the whole complement, when used as Christians are called to use them, bring me to a solid and sound faith. Christianity is not people blindly following others but is a faith that calls us to act intelligently to follow Jesus, His attitudes, His words and His lifestyle. I don't have the right to revise and rewrite what is in the Bible to satisfy my own attitudes whether this allows me to engage in sexual pleasure against proscribed ways or to condemn others and place myself in a position of moral 'rightness' either. I am neither judge nor jury and need to look to my own sins rather than be so taken up with the sins of others that I ignore my own.

It seems to me that when I engage in condemning others I am denying the love of Christ, for I am called to come alongside and show people what choices I make and hopefully demonstrate better ways than those around me. I engage with people and attempt to show them the sin in my life and the ways I combat this and hopefully restore others on the way. There is, after all, much more sin out there than just sexual stuff. There's the bigoted, naff, blinkered, fascist believers out there who represent both liberal and orthodox wings of the Church in equal measure. We need to be experts at finding specks and leaders in finding ways out of sin for ourselves before we can hope to help others. We need to be watchmen - alerting the faithful of impending danger from without and within. Some of those who claim to be the voice of orthodoxy are in fact the voice of one seeking to have Church as they perceive and desire it to be - but what they want is no more Church than the liberals they oppose.

A test. Stop and look at the issue/s that wind you up. What is the Biblical commandment/instruction/example that fits that which is winding you up? How is the situation resolved? What are the believers commanded to do regarding it (and where should they be themselves?). Answer those questions - look in the mirror - pray - discuss with people you trust (sound people) and then put together a plan which addresses the issues.

Do this and then you'll be 'sound' and be 'honouring God' - it's not what we want or like - it's what He commands that matters. Easy isn't it - so why don't we do it?

No comments: