Tuesday 6 April 2010

Good Friday, Ash Wednesday? Excuse me but I'm an Evo!

Having already tired of the election I thought I'd focus on something much more interesting (to me) in that I have come across an interesting phenomenon in that some people have their faith defined more by not doing what the Catholics do than by Biblical and orthodox Christian practice.

I have been discussing the fact that some people, "Just don't do Ash Wednesday because it's not Biblical, it's just a 'Catholic' thing." The same it seems is true of Good friday which these 'pick and mix' Christians abhor because, "Every day is Easter Sunday!" and of course, there's nothing in the Bible about Good Friday. The fact that we recall this day every time we celebrate the Eucharist and the reality that without the Cross, Good Friday and death there can be no resurrection seems to have slipped by our heroic (brogue, open-necked shirt and trendy) Evos.

I don't 'have to have Jesus dead' for three days, but I do need to remember that this was the case and reflect upon the realities for His followers as part of the anamnesis that my faith requires (or do I?).

Actually, I suspect that these people are probably also the sort to deny infant baptism too and appear, from discussions thus far, to be more Baptist (happy three hundred and fiftieth birthday) than Anglicans. which of course is a shame as they miss so much in terms of orthodoxy, Church tradition and history and theologically too.

So where are you on these issues and why?

2 comments:

Jenni said...

As a "dunker" Baptist, I am happy to celebrate Ash wednesday and Good Friday is very important to me as well as the rest of Easter and it is a time that really makes me reflect on just what Jesus did for me.

Judah said...

As a member of my Anglican (tending somewhat towards "high") church, I had the opportunity to become fully immersed in the spiritual and worship activities of Ash Wednesday, Lent, Holy Week and Easter - including the all-night Gethsemane Vigil as well as the midnight (first) Eucharist of Easter Sunday. It was an incredibly blessèd experience for me, and had considerable impact on my faith and spiritual growth.

I guess there are "horses for courses" and we have the freedom to join in or not, worshipping in many different ways and styles, but I would have missed out a very valuable time with the Master had I not done these things.