Thursday 14 October 2010

Ministerial Volunteers - Blessing and Curse!

Many years back I was rather saddened by a quote from a bishop in a book on non-stipendiary ministry. Not having the book (it was lent it out to someone considering calling to such a ministry and never returned) I'll have to paraphrase it from memory.

In considering the prospect of non-stipendiary ministry, there was the caution that in order to save money, or operate with less, the emerging NSMs would fill a very great need. That said, one would have to accept the fact that with the saving in outlay would come a diminished theological and ministerial reality.

Now this comment is a match to tinder! I have met some extremely sound theological types who were also NSMs and have seen some excellent schemes and courses out there, teaching theology and engaging in what we call 'formation'. I have also met people who are pretty frightening when it comes to theology and understanding the Biblical bit ("Oh, I didn't know that was in the Bible, but I like my idea better!," being a quote from one after I'd challenged a point in a sermon!) and not all of those were NSMs!

The idea that NSMs are a second class ministerial option was perhaps best illustrated by a comment for a group of them when we were discussing OLMs (Ordained Local Ministers). One of them commented that they loved the OLMs coming into being as they (NSMs) were no longer the bottom of the pile!

Still, I know and work with a number of excellent NSMs and value their working shoulder to shoulder with me, BUT, I have to say that I do tire of some of the bleatings and situations that come from a few of the others (let's hope they read someone else's blog!) in that:

1. When an evening meeting is put on the agenda by some diocesan worthy, they (NSMs often respond with, "Oh, an evening meeting! It's O.K. for you stipendiary people but we've had to work all day before we come to the meeting!" The result is that they are often rarely seen and I'm out all day (apparently not working) and then out all evening (working) too! A taster of my usual sort of day in the day before me:

 I get behind my desk early to do my Daily Office (Which you will find here ) and paperwork find that the day has already filled itself with ministerial and pastoral stuff (Today, harvest assembly, funeral, pastoral visit, there's a school visiting the building for a lesson on 'Church', finalising service details and then a 'Padre's hour with local cadets). I choose to be busy, but I also find that I cannot be as selective as people think clergy are. There is a church to be run and the needs of those around me (but outside the church) to be met as well as the stuff I choose to do!

2. They have a 'pick and mix' mentality. In discussion only a couple of weeks back I was told, "I only do the things I want to, that's the beauty of being NSM, I can decide when I want to do stuff!" Now this was the view of one person, but was I glad that they're not anywhere near me! I understand work/life balance but 'cherry picking' just isn't helpful, ministry has its fair share of wielding the shovel along with bowing to the applause!

The reality is that we need ministers on the ground and tentmaking is an excellent model to meet this need. But in doing so we need people who are priests (I consider the ontological reality that being presbyteros means that 'Priest' is what you are not what you do!) and who are workers approved and assured int he use of the Word and the exercise of pastoral and spiritual gifts/ministry.

They shouldn't be regarded as second-class and they should endeavour to ensure that they are not second-class too! I'm only an NSM is not an excuse for far too often it's a curse and apologetic for laziness or lack of commitment. Not a lot of money about, but loads of work - the strength of good NSMs.

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Vic,

I am sad to hear some of the comments made by some NSM's that you have met. The sadness compounds itself when you understand the waste of opportunities it represents to advance the Kingdom here and now.

The one gift I would have, if I were eventually selected for training, is that having retired, I could fulfill a ministry role virtually full time.

God calls people to serve, not for consumer ministry.