Saturday 5 March 2011

Barnsley - an exercise in non-deviancy

It was a foregone conclusion that the results from Barnsley would put Labour at the top of the voter's choice. Regardless of the credentials the Labour candidate brought to the contest, it was a certainty that it would have been a labour victory, even if they'd only managed to put a monkey up for office!

And yet I am surprised.

Why?

Well, despite the rhetoric about the ConDem coalition and the talk of betrayed promises and the like, my surprise is that the Barnsley electorate appear to have already forgotten (or perhaps just excused) the mismanagement and maladministration of health service, financial probity, PFI feathering of nests for supporters and more beside as they long fir the good old days. One Labour supporter rang in to a radio discussion to point out that the Tories and Lib Dems were all about cuts but Labour wad about spending in the areas that mattered!

How amazingly barking mad is that?

I'd say I hope they get the government they deserve but as that would be the one that I also got, I hope and pray not!

No comments: