Thursday 4 August 2011

Breastfeeding Women and Eclipses

This quote from the Simpson's news anchor, Kent brockman' had me smiling too:

"A solar eclipse is like a woman breast-feeding in a restaurant. It's free, it's beautiful, but under no circumstances should you look at it."

This advice takes me back to the heady days of Kensington Temple when a woman who was sitting at the back discretely breastfeeding her newborn was pounced upon by one of the elder elders. Grabbing her by the hand and pulling her from her seat the previously totally concealed act was made public as the shawl that had surrounded her fell. Until then few were aware that she'd even been feeding the baby because she was so very discrete and the baby was content, but attracted by the noise and the raised voice of the elder they turned to find her breasts exposed and the child screaming (she was wearing dungarees, which didn't help the situation on little bit)

What made the spectacle complete was the fact that the now unsuckled gusher managed to cover the heads (and faces of those who had turned) with a fair helping of lactic products!

Don't think she ever came to the church again ;)

Oh happy daze!

6 comments:

Helen Baggott said...

Why is that supposed to be amusing?

Anonymous said...

Yes, please explain what is amusing about a baby being denied his feed, and a mother having her breasts exposed against her will?

PS I have only posted this as anonymous as I don't have a google account and cannot post my name.

Bemused,
dora

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I think it is funny that something as natural and right attracted such an over the top response. That the discrete manner in which the woman carried out her maternal role contrasted so greatly with the righteously indignation elder.

It's also funny because it shows how shallow and outmoded some people are and yet justify their actions in the name of good order.

As a postscript, met the woman (in a different church) some time later and she thought it was funny too! Mind you, we were both niggled when it happened.

Pax

Mel said...

I think the story is obvious and hilarious as the person making the fuss reaps the fruit of his imbalance.Over the years I breastfed in a number of places.

Usually people never noticed but there were some who told me I should feed my child in the toilet rather than where they were. I will certainly tell this story in my breast feeding support group.

:-D

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Thanks Mel,

I find it funny that so many people who are involved in breast feeding groups enjoy the misplaced indignation and the comeuppance that it received.

V

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

L - thank you for the post regarding the comments about this topic. I'm not going to respond to it because it would spoil his party and would perhaps offer kudos where it isn't due.

He obviously has his own agenda and he is welcome to it. I haven't posted your comments as I think they might be seen as an engagement (or invitation to engage) and that would serve no purpose other than to approve his scribblings.

Sorry to reply this way but as I don't have an email I have no other option.

Thanks for your support and kind words,

V