Sunday 9 September 2012

Paralympics - triumph and tragedy

I'm not sure about you but I, for one, have been absolutely blown away by what I have seen on my TV screen during the Paralympics.
Back from my morning services I find David Weir crossing the line to record his fourth gold medal of the games. Yesterday I marvelled as Pistorius crossed the line to take gold and I have been stunned by Sophie Christiansen (who along with Ellie Simmonds joins the wife as one of those with whom I have fallen deeply and madly in love with) and so many others.

But the tragedy is that Simon Pegg has been beaten up by some for his words: "Watching the Paralympics, you realise what an utterly stupid term 'disabled' is." Actually, not only are his words right and fitting but in fact watching those who have pushed the bar higher, gone faster and proved themselves to be stronger, I have to wonder if it is not me perhaps that is 'dis abled'? To have some of the obstacles before them and still push through speaks volumes about those I have seen competing. In fact I wish I could do something less than them with the more that I perhaps have?

The greater tragedy comes in the form of those who have written (or telephoned) to say that the Paralympic competitors "Are not really disabled!" The source of these comments being people who claim to be so disabled that they couldn't compete and this makes those who do less disabled. What a load of tosh (can't use the word I would like to :-) ).

Adding anger to tragedy is the the prune who rang in to a show to say that the Paralympics was akin to the Roman arena where the able-bodied took pleasure in watching the antics of the mentally and physically disabled. I have taken pleasure in watching people engage and overcome and have done so in awe and respect - so this man was very wide of the mark indeed!

As the event draws to its close tonight I wonder why the Olympics and Paralympics don't coalesce into one happening. It would add to a few days more for the event but I'd love to see us celebrate sporting endeavour and the camaraderie that has been so on show during the Paralympics in one larger bargain bucket. And of course we might then have the same superlative broadcasting experience that was BBC's Olympics extend into the Para's too!

And Shelly Woods has just taken the silver in the wheelchair marathon to see us finish with a wonderfully creditable one hundred and nineteen medals (34 Gold, 42 Silver and 43 Bronze) placing us third overall - How can anyone not applaud these wonderful individuals from across the globe?

And how can they see disability as something limiting when people push themselves to the limit?

And as I understand it, if Sarah and Barney Storey were a nation they'd be twenty-second in the tables :-) So many outstanding people who are winners with or without medals :-)

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

I think that you may be right that about the disabled or dis abled.

The Paralympions are an example of lives being lived to their fullest, which is to my mind, God's will for us all.

The government wants more to participate in sport, particularly paralympions, but cuts the funding that are necessary to provide the resources to enable more to take part and event to compete.

On the back of the Olympics and Parlympics, the country has had an infusion of pride, good will, community and good humour - I sincerely hope that it survives the return to reality being offered. Teachers to go on strike, other Unions making threatening noises at the start of the TUC Congress.

And a government reshuffle that clearly inserts square pegs into round holes (Hunt at Health), (Grayling at Justice), (Greening at International Development) makes me wonder if they share the same planet as us at times.


Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Disabled is merely what someone is, not what they are! In fact many obviously overcome their disability and demonstrate amazing ability through courage, determination and application.

As one who has been Father to a child with CP I found the exploits(and triumphs) of people who were also CP amazingly emotional.

As one who has worked with amputees I found them to be inspirational! As the list of impediments grew so too did my appreciation of those who merely saw them as things to overcome (or work within).

Sad to be missing the closing service as I'm doing services.