Thursday 4 October 2012

Stibbe, Moriel, Prasch and false prophets

I have received a couple of public messages (and others of a more private nature) regarding my post last month relating to Mark Stibbe. They leave me with a number of questions:

1. Moriel Ministries - who, what and why?

 2. Jacob Prosch - who, what and why?

 3. What the heck is an MSC (I thought it was a degree but obviously not)?

4. I am confused at the way the sadness surrounding one man's fall can descend into something that icludes accusations of being false prophets and Todd Bentley, neo-gnosticism, David Pytches, Toronto Blessing, Paul Cain, Bob Jones and the dodginess of HTB and StAndrew's (Chorley Wood).

 How can such finger pointing, vitriolic, spiteful denouncement  make any claim to be Christian?

Where is love in the spiteful labelling of others and how can we hope to win others for Christ when we display so much that is not only distasteful and ugly but also so very wrong?

Is it any wonder that the only response to it thus far is ridicule? Mind you would reason or dialogue do anything to redress the actions and attitudes?

I have to admit I am at a loss here :-(

5 comments:

UKViewer said...

I feel that same way as you about this issue. Let those who live in Glass houses....

I visited the website and read the statement there and offered a prayer for the family and for the man himself. Sad as it is, it's a private matter between those involved and they need time and space to work it out.

Sad that some should leap on the troll bandwagaon to be abusive :(

Anonymous said...

I found this video particularly helpful for me in relation to the Mark Stibbe situation, because I first had an abusive and completely negative outlook http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9QFU7YUxIg&feature=relmfu
We shouldn't be abusive, but grieve, and recognise that those who fall and enter into sin can be restored and forgiven by God.

merry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

So we should not openly name those who are deceiving others into false doctrine and evidently wrong behaviour...Those who teach are more accountable are they not?..Paul openly named those who were leading people down the path of heresy also..so was he not loving as well. Look who are the false prophets/teachers, if the guys mentioned are not?...Response please...

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

We should always deal with those who are deceiving others, engaging in false teaching or engaging in wrong behaviour - but this must be done in the right way.

First we must ensure we have all the information we can lay our hands on and then, when sure that error or wrongful elements exist, we should first address the issue with the person concerned. If we get nowhere then we should engage others ( two or three is sufficient) and it they agree that wrong is present then they also approach - with a view to restoration - and if this fails, then it goes wider and wider until it becomes public.

The problem is that many just publish and proclaim and denounce on their own assessment and whim.

As for me I haven't enough knowledge to approach or denounce and continue (where time permits) to read and learn of those who are criticised - but it's not my first concern, that lies with my own flock and those to whom I am called to minister. I'm not going to become a vigilante .

Pax