Tuesday 18 February 2014

Oh Vicar - all you do is work (1)

Can I just say that that's not true - I do find time for myself and have a number of interests and hobbies that creep into and out of the picture from time to time. OK, there are times of famine insofar as those that call me away from the parish are concerned but my books, music, writing, theology and other stuff all continue to create some space for my and help maintain what little sanity I might have.

So here's one of my passions for you to understand how I've suffered (and indeed been blessed) over the course of my life supporting the Gooners:


From Sheffield and Bob Stokoe's Sunderland through to oh so many cup finals I've been there - winning, losing and carrying on - a football team is for life, not just the seasons when they are winning.

There's also Southend United, Reading, Wycombe Wanderers, Marlow and (of course) Tamworth FC - with a late entry into the 'love list' of the Baggies too - boing boing!!

Football - not so much a sport  - more of a faith statement

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me until you mentioned the Baggies ;)

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Just love the passion of their fans - they're fun and take adversity with a smile

Sorry

V

Allie P said...

Reminds me of the story of the Apostle John and his pet peacock.

An archer visited John while he was in exile on Patmos. Astonished to see that the holy man had a pet peacock, the visitor asked, "Why does such a spiritual man as yourself have such a trivial thing as that pet peacock?" John replied, I see you have a bow there. Tell me, do you keep it permanently strung nice and tight ready for use?" "Of course not," said the archer. "I have to unstring it so that it relaxes and doesn't lose its effectiveness." ""As with your bow, so with me and my peacock," replied the Apostle.