Saturday 13 February 2016

40Acts 2016 - Day Four ' 999


Today's act is incredibly practical and simple: find a need and meet it.  Now.


‘A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.’
(John 13:34–35 NIV)

Last year was a tough one for my family. In January 2015 my wife, Niki, was diagnosed with breast cancer and our life was turned upside down. We experienced a whole series of challenges as she faced surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. There were occasions when we cried together and other moments when we laughed. Throughout it all we found great support from family and friends. We knew that many folk were supporting us in prayer, but what was also really touching was the small practical ways in which people showed they cared. Some people sent cards and flowers. Others provided meals. We appreciated the occasional invites to go out to dinner in friends’ homes. Some people sent kind messages of encouragement to our daughter, who was living away at university in Nottingham.

We discovered that kindness is often an under-appreciated gift. And so-called ’random acts of kindness’, no matter how small, are always appreciated because they show that someone cares. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, ’A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

Wherever there is a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference. And sometimes it doesn’t have to be a practical gift. During a difficult period of Niki’s treatment one guy at church, who I didn’t know very well, took me to one side and told me the story of his mum’s struggle with cancer many years earlier. His empathy and kind words were really touching and reminded me that others understood our struggle.

So look out for those God-given opportunities to live out Jesus’ command. There’s no shortage of needs out there and today you might be the ‘emergency service’ someone needs.

Today's blog was written by Lloyd Cooke from Saltbox.
Find out more about them and support their chosen charity here.

For today's challenge in full - click HERE



No comments: