Sunday 6 September 2009

Cavedwellers - Phoenix from the ashes!

About ten years ago, whilst sitting in a train bound for Liverpool Street station (London) I was aware that many of the blokes I travelled with were fed up with 'up - dress - train - work -train - home - bed'. As a result I booked an Indian restaurant and invited some of the blokes I knew over to a 'Not the Christmas Dinner!' meal. Out of this came a group, 'Cavedwellers'.

Why that name? Because we were living in an around Ware and the motto of that place 'Cave' (beware! What a schoolboy howler) meant we were indeed 'cavedwellers'.

This group continues still and now the old web site has been taken over for another purpose.

Today I was asked some questions about the forum I have set up on the site. I thought I place the questions and response here as they really consolidate the thinking behind the forum. I was asked three questions, which is all very Hans Christian Andersen, but here goes:

Question 1. "Why has the new forum not got a statement of faith in it's act!"
Why should it? I'm not looking to set up conditions! many of those who will (hopefully) be using this forum are engaged in Fresh Expressions, Pioneer Ministry, Evangelism and other areas of church ministry. The forum has been set up to provide a safe place to discuss issues (theological and cultural) without the bitchfights and awfulness that is found in other forums across the web.

Question 2. "You want the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth in postings Vic, novel anyway, you have got to be kidding?'
To quote one of my favourite films, "You can't handle the truth!' One of the reasons that membership is approval only rather than sign up is so that the general membership will be safe and able to discuss robustly and honestly and also privately. I'm not kidding for ad hominems and the like, defamatory comments and misrepresentation will be maintained at a minimum level. There will be a team of moderators (hopefully I won't be one once it gets running properly - it's enough keeping the engine going) who I hope will have nothing to do and a community of Christians acting as Christians should. No joke, not novel, just Christian ;-)

Question 3. "Is this new Forum amongst forums an ultra Anglican-mainstream or an hello there and where are you coming from and who owns you?"
The new forum has been set up because there is a need for those who function as Missioners to have a place they can discuss issues. I have been working with various individuals (on and off) and this need is seeking to be resolved with this forum. There is also a need for those in 'Pioneer Ministry' to have a place they can discuss and share. Couple with that the need of some of the local groups for discussion space and then added need of other Christians to be able to dialogue and share in an equally safe place and you have Cavedwellers.

Anglican Mainstream has its goals and purpose and I support and respect those. that said, there is no need for an 'ultra AM', As stated at the top - Cavedwellers is not a campaigning forum, merely a Christian one! (I was asked this because I do techie and mod stuff for AM)

Who owns the forum? I guess I do in terms of the fact I have funded it, but only as much as I have gifted it to certain missioners and other groups and will also be in submission to a gentleman who advises RW on stuff, a bishop, a diocesan official and the members too!

Cavedwellers was a project I engaged in a few years back. It started with me taking an Indian Restaurant over for an evening and filling it with men (churched and non-churched). It still runs and has been doing events like soft play, bowling, clay pigeon, karting, annual barbecue and more for ten years. Go to http://www.archive.org/index.php and search on www.cavedwellers.org.uk and you'll see some of the old days!

The Site had been let go and I was asked whether I was happy to release the URLs. Thinking about it, I realised that I didn't want to let them be used for non-Christian purposes and so took the opportunity to do something with them and meet the other needs that were being raised in the shape of the forum (and more later when some of the groups will have web space too!.

I hope this answers your questions. Thanks for them as they have helped me clarify stuff too. Basically a response to the needs of Christians who need a safe place.

So there you have it - Cavedwellers the forum!

Vic

No comments: