Tuesday 23 March 2010

Communion - reaches the parts other . .

Meals cannot!

Last year I was privileged to be present at the end of a wonderful Christian lady's life. She had battled gamely against cancer but it had, as is too often the case, beaten her. I had agreed that I would come and communicate the whole family with her at her bedside.

I arrived at the side ward to find the family chatting normally around the bed, our heroine having slipped out of consciousness. Having been told that the family still wished to take communion I set out my stall and went through the communion service. Having communicated the family I took a small piece of wafer and dipped it in to the wine. As it touched her lips, the woman opened her eyes, smiled and said, "Thank You Vic," opened her mouth and was communicated and the slipped back from consciousness.

This was startling, for I had never done this before and didn't know what to expect other than the elements, being placed in her mouth, would dissolve and she would be communicated with her husband and family. This was thought-provoking, for in the very elements that represent to us the body and blood, she had 'come back' responded, rejoiced, been blessed and blessed. What had happened and why?

Obviously I haven't been able to run a controlled experiment on this one, with a control group receiving bread and Ribena or macd's and Coke so I can only assume that there was either something present in the elements of that communion or that she'd been conning us all and wanted to play a trick. A nurse who came in minutes after we'd finished to take her ob's commented to me (outside) that the lady was on the last stretch and probably wouldn't regain consciousness now. She didn't, apart from that one moment of recognition, lucidity and reception and the smile on her face was beatific!

Now, tell me communion is merely a memorial - not sure where this leaves some of us with our theology (do I hear 'real presence' people cheering out there?) but my experience was real, shocking, blessing and was surely an encounter of the real kind!

Pax

2 comments:

Jenni said...

This is a very touching story, I've always believed that hearing is the last sense to go in the dying process. Unconcious patients who have recovered often told me that they could hear me and recognised my voice on waking.

A very interesting subject which has prompted much thought on my part whilst cycling around the Ayrshire countryside, for which I thank you.

Being of the Baptist persausion ( my Episcopalian friends think it's a cult! :) ) I thought we took our two communion services a month very seriously but this blog has set me thinking. As my local church hurtles down the charismatic path I find it increasingly uncomfortable , maybe it's my age too, but I am seriously thinking of going back to my roots where I was christened, sunday schooled and worshipped with some structure. Thanks again for making me think!

UKViewer said...

A moving story and one which gives hope, which to me, is something central to where I am in faith and belief.

I think that the Real Presence people, may as you say, be chuffed. My only view would be, that the presence of the Holy Spirit was there, "where more than one etc, gather together in my name - there I am" springs to mind.

If the Holy Spirit has intervened to allow this Lady to communicate as her last, which was obviously her intention - it would make real sense that the Spirit worked to bring her back to a condition where she could receive the Sacrament.

I have just returned from a Service in a Care Home, where despite the frailty of those present, we had, I am convinced the Spirit with us - as even the ones, who could not communicate, clearly, received Holy Communion, exactly in the way you describe, the host dipped into the wine.

One or two of them have a "Wicked" sense of humour, which provoked some laughter among us and them, with jokes about able young man (I am 60?), when the majority of them are in their late 80's.

I found it an occasion of real joy and we sang robustly as well.

I know that last week, my Vicar had to deliver the last rites to one of our Parishioners - it is obvious that he is effected - but he has said that the merciful release from, a long, protracted cancer along with support from the community, helps him to maintain balance, in a painful, stressful situation for all.

He needs a break, and wisely has booked one for just after Easter.

Priests and Lay Ministers are often unsung and taken for granted, until something like this happens - than the call is received and answered in so many selfless ways.

Dare I use the word 'Respect'.