Friday 19 March 2010

Communion - What is it?

In order to answer my questions, I first need to understand what I think communion is all about.

My first question, "Was I doing communion with them or to them?" is something that I assume (or at least hope) all who preside, distribute or are otherwise engaged in the Eucharistic process have asked themselves.

Sadly, I find that for most of us, this is not the case and that many 'just do the stuff' unquestioning and unthinking. Oddly, many of these will be the same people who get bent out of shape should someone be communicated because they're not confirmed - an interesting tension and reflection perhaps?

To set the scene and ensure we're using the same language, the Eucharist, as I have come to understand it goes like this:

The President (that is the one who 'presides') comes from the people to take up this role. This signifies that the President is one of the people and has come from the people to perform the role. It is, for me, important to note that the person 'doing' communion is not the Celebrant. Theologically speaking, the people of God 'celebrate' the Eucharist - each and every member partaking is therefore a celebrant.

Communion (or Eucharist) has become a 'family meal' and this brings with it very different tensions, requirements and attitudes (being perhaps more akin to our concept of agape meal).

Some of us are more aware/concerned with the anamnesis aspect (that is 'remembrance', but more than just remembering as in memorial might bring) whilst others are concerned with the 'sharing'. Others will be concerned with the penitential and absolving value of the Eucharist and see in it healing of person and Church. The rite we use is important and the two main paths before us, BCP versus CW communion services, there are additional considerations. BCP being very much (as I see it) a personal penitential affair, eyes averted, head bowed, awareness of our unworthiness to the fore; CW being less penitential and more corporate and celebratory focussing on unity and often 'party'. Generally though, the shape is this (communion being a game of four halves):

Welcome - Confess - Absolve - Collect

Word (read and preach) - Creed - Pray

Unite (share Peace) - Prepare - Partake

Thank - Blessed - Leave

Having got ourselves to the 'leave' element something important (for me) should then happen. The president returns to the people from whence he (in my case) comes. This actively demonstrates that regardless of role, we are all laos (God's people) and is the reason that the procession in  and out is part of the service for many. Mind you, when they process out and disappear into the vestry rather than the back of the church this point is lost. The choir can continue to the vestry but the President should remain in the people!

Hopefully something to think about here during dull moments, but now it's time to go - daily office done and dusted (Joseph of Nazareth - Ps 25, 147: 1-12; Isa 11:1-10; Matt 13: 54 - 58), tea drunk, mail answered - day to engage with. catch you later.

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I am finding this series quite enlightening. I came to the CofE late in life. Coming from an RC background, with a long gap in between, the belief within RC doctrine in Transubstantiation was one issue I had.

My CofE experience started with Common Worship, which I grew to know and Love. As I learned more, I attended BCP services and soon realised the very differences you have highlighted here.

My understanding of the Eucharist or Holy Communion as variously described is that the celebrant is doing Communion with the people which agrees with yours.

For me the three fold aspects of Remembrance, Penitence and Celebration are key to my understanding of Communion, and so, taking Communion by extension includes those in Care Homes and at Home are included as we remember them in prayer during our Worship and name them in intercessions.

I have to admit, I have never been to a CofE service anywhere, where the Priest has processed into the Vestry, a practice common in the RC Church.

Taking leave of the congregation as they depart seems to me to be the affirmation and natural conclusion of friendship, and confirmation of the community of God's people.