Friday 28 May 2010

Newspapers - a Comparative

I wonder how many of us have ever tried putting the newspapers side-by-side and comparing the 'big news'?

I do this from every now and then as part of my praying for our country, nation, world and beyond and an always amazed at what constitutes news. Today is no exception to this. Here's the top three items from a few of them:

Daily Mail
  1. 'Bizarre double life of 'Ripper' suspect: Privately-educated loner studying PhD is charged with murder of three prostitutes'
  2. Migrants to swell Southern towns by 20% in eight years
  3. Benefits Britain: 700,000 families pocket at least £15,000 a year
The Times
  1. President Obama attacks BP over ‘worst oil disaster’
  2. Crime student charged with prostitutes murder
  3. Syria accused of arming Hezbollah
The Guardian
  1. BP's 'top kill' mission tentatively halts oil gush
  2. Defence heads gag critical Iraq report
  3. Tories take final seat in parliament
The Independent
  1. Green Party arrives at Westminster
  2. The unseen power behind Alexander McQueen's throne inherits his empire
  3. Al-Qa'ida 'running out of suicide bombers in Iraq'
The Daily Mirror
  1. University student charged with murder of three missing prostitutes
  2. Former Bradford vice girl pays tribute to three missing friends and says: It could have been me
  3. iPad launches in UK today - but is it worth buying?
The Sun
  1. I watched 'Crossbow Killer' eat live rat
  2. 417,000 migrants win right to settle here - in one year
  3. Moment Cops held sunburn Mum
Just a bit of grist for the mill!

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Well, I was happy to see the Article in the Independent about Sarah Lucas making her maiden speech in Parliament.

The election forced me to look very hard at the various parties and Green was my choice.

While not happy about their policies on drug use, the balance of the rest appeared to meet some of my aspirations for Social Justice and in particular the environment.

So, I backed my view and voted Green. I have also opted to put my money where my mouth is and have joined the Party as a supporter.

For someone who was brought up labour, converted to Tory while serving, back to labour, I have perhaps for the first time made a decision on politics that makes sense to me, if not to anyone else.

I am pleased that my spouse agreed and also went Green.

Judah said...

Just this morning, while reading our local newspaper, the question occurred to me... I wonder what correlation there might be between reading the newspaper and rates of depression? By far most of the headlines are on subjects hardly uplifting, and run counter to the wisdom of Philippians 4:8.