Sunday 21 November 2010

Hijacking Argostide?

I was at a dinner last night and one of the casual conversations that cropped up contained something either quite frightening or rather amusing when a lovely old chap (he's been churchwarden in his time) asked me this question as part of his, "Coming up to your busy period with Christmas approaching," chat:

"Don't you think that sometimes the Church tries to hijack Christmas and make it all about Jesus and Church?"

He went on to explain that after all, "Christmas is for the kiddies and toput all that religion in just makes people feel guilty about not going for the rest of the year!"

I have to say that I was, most uncommonly, left almost speechless (well, for a second or two)!

I'll leave you to ponder that for the day - I'm going to celebrate Christ the King!

ps.

On the way back I had the munchies and ended up going to a fish and chip shop for some battered mushrooms. I walked in to the shop (in full mess dress) and realising the look of surprise from the other side of the counter quickly explained (with shock and horror) that I hadn't realised there wasn't a dress code and must look horribly overdressed!

Broke the ice and made for a fun few minutes!

Pax

No comments: