Wednesday 10 November 2010

We're not in crisis here!

Just had a telephone call from a reporter asking for my views as an Anglican dog-collar on the fact that the 'Church of England is in crisis'.

I think I may have been a bit disappointing as, holding my telescope to my blind eye, I asked what the crisis was and whether my name was mentioned anywhere explicitly in the paperwork (always good to check). Apparently I'm still in the clear! Seems the crisis is a mass defection from the Anglicans to the Roman Catholics (don't know whether the 'mass'bit was supposed to be a pun!).

Further discussion came down to the fact that two bishops (Richborough and Ebbsfleet) are resigning, one (Fulham) is waiting until he retires (see Hello John, got a new denomination) to swim and two more, already retired, are also going across. The only 'mass' I see here is according to the Roman rite and I see little in terms of exodus (even if the five hundred clergy and congregation members materialises).

Having managed to garner nothing controversial or in the slightest bit exciting (steady on, I am an Anglican!) I was then asked if I thought many churches would leave, 'lock, stock and barrel' for Rome. But again I proved to be eminently boring in that whilst some churches (meaning the people) might consider 'going to Rome' they'd go without the inanimate contents of the building. Obviously not sensational stuff, we tried once more . . .

"Do you think that this is the end of the Church of England as a 'catholic' reality?" Now here we'd struck oil as I asked which 'catholic' was being used. "Universal 'catholic' or Catholic as a brand," I asked. "What's the difference," came the well-informed reply.

So I explained that 'catholic' was the Church universal and 'Catholic' was the trademark of Rome plc. After a few seconds (what I assume was( thinking, back came the response, "Err, both!"

So it began, "Well, we've not been 'Catholic' since about 1530 something and the Act of Supremacy, but we are a 'reformed and catholic' church which means we share creeds, formularies and the like. Of course, whether or not we can claim this a few years hence is another thing as the very people who claim to love the church (of England) and endorse the catholic bits of it are apparently leaving. If they go, who will stand for it (catholicity) and who will seek to keep it's integrity and maintain its practice and theology?" Seems that perhaps we have a self-fulfilling prophetic body!

By now the poor dear was obviously wishing they were reporting on a cake or flower-arranging competition out in a rural village and was getting confused more confused. After all, "Why were they in the Church of England anyway? Shouldn't they have gone back to Rome when Henry took over? Not only that but shouldn't 'catholics' be in the Catholic church, it was wrong to keep them in the Church of England!"

You know, perhaps we are in crisis, perhaps not in the church (or the Church) but most definitely in the way we teach, educate, train or whatever it is schools do these days. Perhaps we should call Catholic - Roman Catholic and catholic - universal, it might save time when reporters come a calling!

5 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

A priceless interview. Let us know what it gets twisted into if it gets printed.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

That's exactly what the wife said!

Oh well, was never going to make bishop anyway :)

UKViewer said...

It's strange that they would ring a Parish Priest, when we have so many Bishops, Arch Deacons, Deans etc, etc around the place, all available and willing to comment.

But, doing that might get them spin, so they seem to have chosen you. Do you feel called to be a spokesperson for the Church, because if you are, you are doing a pretty good job, called or not.

I glad I was not asked those questions, as a reformed (Roman) Catholic, I might have just said one or two things about the Roman church I would have regretted.

I can remember being indoctrinated that Catholic and Universal only applied to the RC Church - everyone else was a non-catholic or pagan (I was raised in the 1950's). So, when I joined the CofE, I was pleasantly surprised to be rejoining the Catholic (small c) Universal Church. Not only that, I was free to think, question, doubt, etc. Then the three legged stool was explained and I was hooked.

As for those swimming the Tiber, good luck, I just hope that their life preservers are inflated, they will need them.

Rev Trev said...

I have to say that it's a great shame that you're not someone who was 'going to make bishop' as I find you balanced, Biblical and possessing the ability to take Church seriously whilst not taking yourself too seriously.

Keep on keeping on - wish there was more like you (especially with purple shirts).

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

[blush]
Thanks, always nice to please someone :) [/blush]