Tuesday 7 June 2011

Naked Model poster

As a techie type I spent a great deal of my work life in workshops and engineering 'circuit rooms' which, as was the norm those days, being a totally male preserve meant that the pin ups and posters adorned lockers and walls.

Later, having move up the ladder (literally and figuratively) I found myself inhabiting a world where such images were frowned upon and then we became 'sensitive' to the feelings of those around us and women stopped being sex objects and became 'mates'. We had female techies, the Air Training Corps allowed girls to join (1983) and the world became a different place.

The problem that I have is that people don't realise that stereotyping and sexism is quite subtle and that there are such extremes taken that, as an example, if one entered a room with nine men and one woman in it, the correct greeting is "good morning all." I encounter a number of people who come in and say something like, "Good morning gentlemen, and lady,: and they aren't aware that this is considered sexist and infringes the rules of sexist behaviour in the workplace. Taking things too far? I couldn't possibly say (or should I?)

Anything that draws attention to a person because they are different is regarded as being wrong and in today's military setting, this behaviour is both frowned, and acted, upon. The same is true within many of the other public service settings (in fact, as a quad-service Equality and Diversity Advisor, I have to say that this is supposed to be true for all military and civil service settings) such that nicknames are taboo and drawing attention to any personal, physical or other discernible characteristic is a 'no no'. That said, when on a course with a number of dog-collars, I ended up with the label 'Dutch' to identity me from 'Scots Chaplain' and 'tall chaplain' (the other was just called 'chaplain'). Was I offended? No! But some are sensitive and so even though it added an element of sun to the proceedings, technically it was wrong!

I have mixed feelings about the Body Shop posters which speak of the ridiculous figures on some of the children's dolls, the 'ideal' (yet generally impossible) 'perfect woman as seen by those on the catwalks and points out that few women are built like them. I like the campaigns that call for 'real women' to be models as should it work I might find myself less burdened by women who struggle over they way they look (Size eight is enormous - just look at . . . .). My problem is that although the point being made is valid, the image it presents is one that surely makes the female figure a sex-object and therefore wins a point and yet loses one (or even two) in the doing so!

At the end of the day, it is clever advertising because everyone will stop and look at it. Most will agree but in doing so, are we not perhaps just creating a new stereotype rather than applauding a point?

I think there is much dialogue to be had over this whole issue, for their is a marked degree of immaturity and misunderstanding, personal hangup and very conditional assessment involved. For some it will set them free, for others it will increase their bondage - but that's life (I hear you say), so why do I have a slight feeling of unease?


Pax

3 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

You are absolutely right about the creation of stereotypes.
The thing that bugs me most, is not the impossibility of looking like a 'supermodel'..Most women, whatever personal hangups they have over their appearance know they could never, and propbably wouldn't really want to be a 'stick insect' No, what really gets to me is that fact that no such perfection is expected of the male of the species.

That is what is truly unfair!

Anonymous said...

At first glance I thought it was a real woman and that you'd finally lost the plot completely (rather than partially).

Then I thought 'what a good point to make'.

Then I read your post and can see that it is a two-edged sword and that it might not be as positive as I first suspected. There is, as you intimate, a very fine line here.

Andy B said...

"Anything that draws attention to a person because they are different is regarded as being wrong ..."

yet the feminists want us to differentiate between men and women when addressing people generally, which is difficult in English as, unlike most other languages, we only have one gender-marked pronoun form - and that is she/her.

For all that they argue otherwise, 'he/him' are unmarked - so are actually far more appropriate for generalisations.