Friday 24 August 2012

Prince Harry - What's it all about?

Well the Sun has broken ranks and published that photograph of a naked Prince Harry and of course they've done it to serve the public's need for information. There's no hint of a breach of Harry's personal space of intruding into his private life, after all the Americans (and others) have already printed it so it is in the public domain.

I have been thinking about this issue and whilst I do not approve of some of the excesses that go on in the world, I am grown up enough to know that they occur and when I can, I engage with people to bring understanding and a little bit of wisdom into the equation. But of course, Harry is not one of my parishioners and so the chances of me influencing him and remote.

BUT

I can put the whole thing into context and as a picture is worth a thousand words, thought I do it pictorally:


A young soldier in a place where the opportunity to party was offered - I know few young people who turn down a party and fewer soldiers who would pass one by (work hard - play hard - repent tomorrow). He may have made the wrong choices but then again which of us haven't in the past and how many of us will continue to make them tomorrow?

For the secular folk who read this blog, can I suggest that his choices are flawed but this is part of the folly of youth. For the Christians, can I suggest that along with the above you consider matthew 7:

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

And a challenge to all of us: What have we done this week for which we are grateful there were no cameras?

6 comments:

UKViewer said...

Well said!

I know that in my brash Army youth I did things that I wouldn't want to be photographed doing :( Mainly in the haze of post-alcohol highs.

Glad I got sensible early on, but not nearly so much fun.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Just a thought - This has nothing to do with the prince's protection officers. They are there to protect the prince from any act of aggression and personal threat. They are not parents and have no duty to correct or control their charge. This would be the role of his assistant!

But he's also a big boy and he has to make his own decisions (and then hopefully learn from them - lesson one, don't get caught!!!).

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Lesson two - make sure you know who you're doing it with (and check they don't have a camera or a desire to sell you to the vultures for a few pieces of silver).

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

lesson the third - learn that there's always vultures and decide to live in a way that stops you being sold on (ie. don't do it!)

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

And to those who have suggested I remove the 'Harry' photo - why on earth would I want (or need) to?

UKViewer said...

I gather you are being criticized, so was Jesus, so you are in good company.