Saturday 8 June 2013

Daily Office - June 8

Thomas Ken, Bishop of Bath and Wells, Nonjuror, Hymn Writer, 1711

Psalm 41

Blessed are those who consider the poor and needy;
the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and restores their life,
that they may be happy in the land;
he will not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed;
their sickness, Lord, you will remove.
And so I said, ‘Lord, be merciful to me;
heal me, for I have sinned against you.’
My enemies speak evil about me,
asking when I shall die and my name perish.
If they come to see me, they utter empty words;
their heart gathers mischief;
when they go out, they tell it abroad.
All my enemies whisper together against me,
against me they devise evil,
Saying that a deadly thing has laid hold on me,
and that I will not rise again from where I lie.
Even my bosom friend, whom I trusted,
who ate of my bread,
has lifted up his heel against me.

But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up, that I may reward them.
By this I know that you favour me, that my enemy does not triumph over me.
Because of my integrity you uphold me and will set me before your face for ever.

Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen.

Psalm 42
As the deer longs for the water brooks, so longs my soul for you, O God.

My soul is athirst for God, even for the living God;
when shall I come before the presence of God?
My tears have been my bread day and night,
while all day long they say to me, ‘Where is now your God?’
Now when I think on these things, I pour out my soul:
how I went with the multitude and led the procession to the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving, among those who kept holy day.

Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul, and why are you so disquieted within me?
O put your trust in God;
for I will yet give him thanks, who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

My soul is heavy within me;
therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
and from Hermon and the hill of Mizar.
Deep calls to deep in the thunder of your waterfalls;
all your breakers and waves have gone over me.
The Lord will grant his loving-kindness in the daytime;
through the night his song will be with me,
a prayer to the God of my life.

I say to God my rock,
‘Why have you forgotten me, and why go I so heavily, while the enemy oppresses me?’
As they crush my bones, my enemies mock me;
while all day long they say to me, ‘Where is now your God?’

Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? and why are you so disquieted within me?
put your trust in God; for I will yet give him thanks, who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43
Give judgement for me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people;
deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my refuge;
why have you cast me from you, and why go I so heavily, while the enemy oppresses me?

O send out your light and your truth, that they may lead me,
and bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling,
That I may go to the altar of God, to the God of my joy and gladness;
and on the lyre I will give thanks to you, O God my God.

Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul, and why are you so disquieted within me?
O put your trust in God; for I will yet give him thanks, who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Job 18
Then Bildad the Shuhite answered:
‘How long will you hunt for words?
   Consider, and then we shall speak.
Why are we counted as cattle?
   Why are we stupid in your sight?
You who tear yourself in your anger - 
shall the earth be forsaken because of you, or the rock be removed out of its place?

‘Surely the light of the wicked is put out, and the flame of their fire does not shine.
The light is dark in their tent, and the lamp above them is put out.
Their strong steps are shortened, and their own schemes throw them down.
For they are thrust into a net by their own feet, and they walk into a pitfall.
A trap seizes them by the heel; a snare lays hold of them.
A rope is hid for them in the ground, a trap for them in the path.
Terrors frighten them on every side, and chase them at their heels.
Their strength is consumed by hunger,  and calamity is ready for their stumbling.
By disease their skin is consumed, the firstborn of Death consumes their limbs.
They are torn from the tent in which they trusted, and are brought to the king of terrors.
In their tents nothing remains; sulphur is scattered upon their habitations.
Their roots dry up beneath, and their branches wither above.
Their memory perishes from the earth, and they have no name in the street.
They are thrust from light into darkness,  and driven out of the world.
They have no offspring or descendant among their people, and no survivor where they used to live.
They of the west are appalled at their fate, and horror seizes those of the east.
Surely such are the dwellings of the ungodly, such is the place of those who do not know God.’

Romans 8.31-end
What then are we to say about these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not withhold his own Son, but gave him up for all of us, will he not with him also give us everything else? Who will bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,
‘For your sake we are being killed all day long;
   we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.’
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The Collect
O God, from whom all blessings flow,
by whose providence we are kept
and by whose grace we are directed:
help us, through the example of your servant Thomas Ken,
faithfully to keep your word,
humbly to accept adversity
and steadfastly to worship you;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: