Sunday 23 January 2011

I'm Phobophobic!

I've heard so much about Islamophobia this week (thank you Baroness Warsi) and came across an interview with a Jewish academic who spoke of Judeophobia as part of his discussion on Islamophobia and of course with the couple who refused a couple of homosexuals a room we've had it up to, somewhere or other, with all this 'fear of' stuff.

The Jewish chap was speaking of the fact that a phobia is basically a 'a persistent, irrational fear of a something (an object, activity, or situation) that brings about a compelling desire to avoid it. He went on to point out that the actions of spiritual leaders who applaud the assassination of the Governor of Punjab, Salman Taseer, because he challenged the blasphemy laws and the stabbing of MP, Stephen Timmns, as a reprisal for his voting in favour of the Iraq War, demonstrated that it wasn't a 'phobia'. After all, there is nothing irrational about fearing a group who will commission, commit or applaud such acts.

It seems to me that there are far too many people who claim that not embracing, or applauding, their lifestyle choices is in fact *****phobia.

I would have to say that those who resort to the cry of, "You merely ****phobic' are acting out of duplicitous, corrupt and mischievous motives. I don't think I'm 'phobic' about anything except those who seek to make what they do, how the live or what they think legitimate, and protected, by the use of the word phobia itself!

Let's see - I don't choose to be Jewish and although I don't support Israel's acts regarding Palestine, Mordecai Vanunu and other issues, I'm not Judeophobic.

I don't see Islam as being my religion of choice and although coming a little late to the party perhaps (610 AD ish) and containing a great deal of Judeo-Christian material I still wouldn't fancy it. Of course not all followers of Islam are terrorists and there is much to commend the philosophies within it, I don't shoose to be one. But again, this does not make me Islamophobic!

I have seen a great many excesses and behaviour which for moral, social, ethical and religious reasons make homosexuality something that don't choose to practice. Were it that, as some would say, that it is not a choice but something over which there is no choice, then I would seek (as a Christian) to be celibate. But although it could be a choice, I choose not to make it. But this doesn't render me homophobic either!

Here's the bottom line, I am a phobophobic! It's something that I am obviously genetically disposed to and have no choice but to ignore the whining of those who seek to label anything that stands opposed to them as a phobia. My reasons for not choosing, disliking or opposing stuff are altogether rational and extremely well-founded, even when some in today's society would like to see the attitudes change. Isn't this as true for those who'd like to see us endorse and openly permit paedophile activity or incestuous relationships?

The fact that some are already discussing this in their legal considerations just goes to show that if we wait long enough, moral values and standards will slip enough to permit anything.

There are many things that float the boats of others and yet don't find me engaging with them. There are things that I enjoy which others don't.

These are choices and these are differences - we all make them, we all have make them. So when I don't applaud yours - grow up and live with it, don't try doing it in my face and I'll try not to do it in yours! If you don't want to be where some people with differing views are, then don't go there - and if you do, don't expect your choice to be the overarching one and your views to be the superior because truth is:

ALL TOO OFTEN THEY AREN'T!

So go and do it somewhere else, there's a nice bunch of people.

Pax

2 comments:

andy said...

Interesting that, when it comes to the Jews/Israel, we don't use the 'phobia' word: there is a completely separate word for the same thing - 'anti-semitic'. Will this begin to change to match the other terms?

Undergroundpewster said...

"Phobia" has been so misused that it has become synonymous with "anti" or even "hatred." So instead of concern for the poor phobic, concern is passed along to the object of the phobia.