Saturday 15 January 2011

Inordinariate mumblings . . . part the second

I was, as I often am, impressed by the 'honesty' that clayboy brought to this proceedings a week back with his coverage, and assessment, of a Ruth (I used to read her stuff until the Thunderer started charging you know!) Gledhill interview with John Broadhurst.

Here's a copy of the interview:



And here's Clayboy's take on it:

"Clayboy really doesn’t simply want to be a cynical grump about this, although he finds both Andrew Burnham and Keith Newton rather more congenial for being restrained in their comments. He wishes those who want to become Roman Catholics well.

However, despite the implications of great sacrifice with which La Gledhill ends her puff-piece, clayboy would like to note that, as far as he can work out, Mr Broadhurst is 68, has been in Anglican orders for 43 years, and goes out as an area bishop. As such he is, if I am not mistaken, going to be in receipt of around £20,000 a year (2/3 of final stipend) from the Church of England as a pension, whatever his theological allegiance.

It doesn’t sound like a huge sacrifice to me."


Can I say that, in my book, Clayboy is pretty much spot on the money (he must be, after all, we agree!) and although some might not like his views (some claiming that he is rather 'uncharitable') I don't think he's that far off the mark.

Let's be fair, I have a friend who because of his integrity and the views he holds over women's ordination would leave the Church of England, even it it meant giving up his calling to become a lay member in the Catholic church rather than lose his integrity. This is the place that I find many of my Forward in Faith (FiF) colleagues occupying. There are some who, perhaps because of their pain are lashing out and being a little spiteful (human nature at work!), but these have (in my experience) been the minority.

Having retired and moved into a retirement home on the banks of the Tiber appears less sacrificial than that being considered by the majority of those I know - but then again, a greater profile means many other benefits and considerations, more than those which the average high churchman might expect (and definitely more than they'd receive)..

Good, honest and balanced words as I read Clayboy's article. He doesn't agree but he does't turn into a screaming bitch, or a vindictive sort either - I can but commend his post.

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

I must admit that I found the Clayboy post to be down to earth and basically stating the situation clearly and fairly.

It is interesting the Pope has appointed Father Newton as the 'Ordinary' of the new setup, given that he cannot be a Catholic Bishop due to being married.

From my reading of the background documentation to the Ordinariate, those appointed as Ordinary and other former Anglican Bishops who join it may wear the trappings and regalia of a bishop and are considered to be retired bishops in terms of membership of the Catholic Bishops Conference.

This all sounds very satisfactory, the CofE will continue to fund the ministry of those retired bishops and priests who move across, while the ordinariate gets its financial affairs in order. What good guys we are.

As a matter of interest, Father Newton still occupies the church accommodation he enjoyed as an Area Bishop on a grace and favour basis - I wonder if he is being charged a fair rent as a non-entitled occupier?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I would have thought that in the interests of fair play he'd now move into to one on the many, almost empty, presbyteries around the country. Now (sadly) there are so few RC priests there are a number of houses which use very few of the rooms in a place once used to housing three or more priests.

Either that or as you say he should now be paying a fair fair rent, what the going rate for Woodford Green?

How much does he get paid by Bennie? Better ask for a raise if he's staying LOL