Tuesday 12 April 2011

What this blog does

I had an interesting email from a kind person who assures me that what I have to say on my blog is "Interesting, theological and often funny." Kind words indeed, but as might be expected, there's a bit of a sting in the tail to come. "But, I have found your words, taken a step further by others, possess great depth within them. It's a shame others have to finish the journey you so often start."

Actually, I don't think it's a shame at all. In fact it's a joy because I seek to dialogue with the internal voices and the external stimuli and paint for myself, and others, a rough sketch. From this I hope to stimulate some dialogue, some development of the issues and situations around me and some perspective. That which I do in fun can easily be transformed into deep theological thinking and if not careful become the 'last word' on a subject.

I hope to make sense of the difficult and make it accessible to the simple, to take the simple and make it commonplace, this is the task of the theological type (something I had rammed home after moving on to postgrad work where my 'theological' essays were slated for being written in theological speak such that the 'ordinary' people would find it inaccessible. I find this to be true in many of the journals and papers (blogs too) that I read.

A tutor once told me that the 'sociological imperative is indicated by the eschatological imperative'. Sensing my confusion, he repeated his statement. 'We love, because He first loved us'. (1 Jn 4:19)

This, for me was one of those 'I Learned A Lot About Theological Thinking From That' (ILALATTFT) moments. The same is true of Stanley Hauerwas, a bar room brawler of a theologian. A man who is erudite, pithy, challenging and so accessible that he has become another hero to sit alongside Barth, Moltmann, Bauckham and so many others who grace my shelves and share their thoughts.

This, for me, is not the place to do intellectual theology but is a place to do deep theology, the theology that brings people into contact with, and encourages recognition and dialogue with, the one true loving God. I make fun of things (especially me) because God has a sense of humour and thankfully takes us less seriously than we often do ourselves, like a parent enjoying the foolishness of his favourite child. Where we see fine words and deep pronouncements, He sees crayoned scribbles and drawing of 'Daddy', and He rejoices in them.

If my words stimulate others, then Hallelujah.

If my words illuminate situations for what they are, then I am thankful.

If they help bring understanding, awareness, dialogue and healing, then I am fulfilling my call as pastor and theologian, brother and disciple - Praise God!

Pax

2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Vic, thank you for an erudite commentary.

I, for one, am glad to engage with someone who does not cloak his posts in intellectual theology, but speaks clearly and understandably. It helps me to engage, as I don't have any formal theological education, although I do tend to talk a lot about God.

For me, it presents very much like the 7 questions used in military tactical assessments of a situation. Most of the questions are 'what if' type questions, allowing a proposal to be examined and explored in depth, but in most cases to allow a quick decision to be made by the commander on the spot.

I tend to approach most of my reflections in this way. So, Jesus died on the Cross? What if? I can explore it, a little like thinking aloud, which helps, but in the depth and maturity that any question about God or Jesus or how we react or interact with him in our lives deserves.

So keep them coming. I'm waiting and listening.

Jenni said...

Anything that keeps me learning,questioning and consolidating the things I believe is good...your blog does what it says on the tin....