Sunday 1 May 2011

He is Risen - Back in the Upper Room

It's a week since Jesus rose,
A whole week and they haven't stopped talking about it!
"You should have been there Tom," they say,
"Should have seen the marks, it was really Him!"

They're excited, relieved but not convinced.
The door's still locked and they're all still hiding!
If He'd really come back, if He'd really been there,
They'd have been out there shouting about it.
Well, I would have, wouldn't you?

And then, I look up, and like a surprise birthday party,
There He is, standing before me.
No door opened, no sound of feet,
He's just there.

"Shalom, "He says, "My peace is with you."
And you know what? It was!
"Touch me, put your fingers in the holes and see for yourself Tom,
Give up the doubting and believe."

How could I not believe?
He was there and so were the marks,
Before my very eyes, large as life and living!
I fall on my face and proclaim Him,
Lord and God, MY Lord and God.

Then He laughs that laugh and tells me,
"So Tom, seeing is believing, eh?
Blessed are those who don't see this and yet still believe."

And they are (He's never wrong)!

2 comments:

ToilNotSpin said...

who wrote this poem? it is wonderful! I would like to use it in my church, but of course would like appropriate permission, citation, etc....

Thank you so much!

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I have to put my hand up and admit it's mine!

Please feel free to use it if you would like to.

Thanks,

Vic