Sunday 1 April 2012

Bells on Sunday

Every Sunday morning I find myself subjected to BBC Radio Four's 'Bells on Sunday'. Now I'm sure there are many campanologists out there who set their alarm clock (or perhaps more sensibly record it as I see that 'listen again' is not available) for this as the pinnacle of their week perhaps but I have to say that this is, for me at least, the biggest down of the week and it is rare for me to do anything but go and put a kettle one in readiness for what comes next (this week it's a 'Lent Talk' (which, interestingly is by an Islamic scholar!).

And so, Quasimodo like, avoiding the bells I look towards today (Palm Sunday and the entry into Jerusalem) and the image of Jesus, in an open-topped bus travelling through Jerusalem with the crowds chanting his name as the procession heads towards a champagne reception at the town hall, fills my mind. I think back to the many times I have seen footballers do this and how, just like Jesus only a few days later, the cheers and applause turns to boos, jeering and cries for their demise. So often we hear (or read) of ways in which football is a religion. Could it be therefore that we might consider the question: Football, the new Christianity?

If so, and taking Chelsea as the last sacking, what does that make Andre Villas-Boas and does this mean that in the place of the Roman, Pilate, we have instead the Roman Abramovich?

May you have a blesséd Palm Sunday and a wonderful Holy Week.

Pax

No comments: