Wednesday 22 January 2014

There you are, busy, busy, busy and . . .

... The telephone rings!

So, of course, you pick up the handset and (me in bold):

Hello, this is Microsoft Supports. I am calling because our system show you have a problem with your computer. You have a problem with your Windows.
Really? That sounds very serious, is there something I should do?

Yes, you need to connect to our system so that we can repair it please?
Gosh, that sounds very difficult, where are you? Do I have to bring it in to you?

Is your monitor turned on?
Yes, it is.

Can you type 'URL given? {action: Typing noise heard from my end]

Can you see the box in front of you on the screen. I need you to type the following  . . (I interrupt)
No, I can't see anything!

Have you typed [URL]?
Yes, I typed that - still can't see the box.

Are you in an internet browser?
Err, no, I don't think so.

Can you open Explorer or Chrome and type in the web address?
I don't think I can.

Why not?

Think it's because I only have the monitor turned on, should I have turned on the computer too?

Yes, you will need both turned on for your computer to work.
Excellent - thank you I will remember that for the next time I have a problem.
So you're saying I have to turn on both the monitor AND the computer to make it work.

That is correct.
Well done, you've solved the problem - Excellent stuff  [hang up]

 This is one of the (very many) ways I have dealt with the Microsoft Tech Support Phone Scam.




Whilst visiting a retired clergy friend, being unable to answer the telephone I answer for them and got the , "Hello, this is Microsoft - you have a problem with your windows' routine.

My response was simple (for I was visiting): 'Yes the person who lives here did have a problem with their windows but we have taken them all out and boarded the place up. You're a little late,  Thank You. [and hung up]

Now, what was I doing before that pesky call?

2 comments:

Graham Criddle said...

When one of my sons received this call some time ago, he pushed them a little to find out who was paying for this.

After some hesitation the support person told him that Bill Gates was funding it.

My son wanted to know why Bill Gates would be funding this when he only used a Mac computer!

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

The true religion :-)

Excellent!

Great prayer session last night - Thank You