Thursday 26 March 2015

40 Acts - BRAG


In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name for ever.
Psalm 44:8 (NIV)
2014, the year of the selfie: the self-portrait of the digital age. According to Twitter, as trends go, the selfie reigns supreme.

We're all at it: civilians, celebrities, even David Cameron. Type ‘selfie’ into the Google search bar and you'll find 246,000,000 results; take a look at Instagram and over 90 million photos are currently posted with the hashtag #me.

I'm guilty of indulging in a selfie or two myself. This year I've saturated my followers with selfies. In July I tried to recreate Ellen DeGeneres’ record-breaking Oscar Awards selfie at a family wedding; in September I shared a selfie with Jesus from Brazil’s Christ the Redeemer statue; in November I posed with villagers in rural India who advised me to ‘check-in’ on Facebook from their village as I shared the snap. 


I’ve realised I am quick to boast about how I am blessed but slower to boast of the ones who bless me. I am eager to share my highlight reel, but rarely shed light on those who support me behind the scenes. Last year, I took to Instagram to rectify this. I changed my URL to @BranchBoasts and in rebellion against #me the #bestiebrag was born.


On a social media platform crowded with critics I’ve tried my hardest to be generous with my words. Amongst the stream of images I share with my followers every week you’ll find the #bestiebrags, the posts that celebrate friendships, put my friends centre stage and their strengths in the spotlight and most importantly boast only of others.


Let's take time today to shout about others, to hold them as high as we've held ourselves, to celebrate their character, broadcast their best bits, and remind the world why our earth is a better place for having them here.


Today I'll only be taking selfless selfies, which brag of the best in others and boast only of the blessing they are.


Becky Branch

To see today's web pape - Click HERE

No comments: