Saturday 1 April 2017

Journal: A day training

What a stunning day it has been today as I managed to teach Values and Standards to a gathering something in excess of one hundred people: the challenge being that all of them have done the lecture  so many times that they should be able to teach it!

Then I got to test myself and add to my knowledge as I engaged in map reading and after the paper exam, found myself outdoors taking bearings and proving I could do it in the field. This gave way to making sure I understood some esoteric stuff before it was time to hit the deck and do BLS (Basis Life Skills) and then triage and other medical training and the tip of the iceberg of today's events was legal stuff: Law and the application of it.

Finished the day with a smile and almost all the training needing to be checked as retained sorted.

The bests bit was the conversations with people, sometimes rarely met, and the fun of being part of a different family to Church.

Made me wonder what those around me do to extend their skillsets and engage in challenge/

So watch out people - I'm going to start asking you stuff!

Lord, Thank Youy for today and all it's challenges and for the opportunity to have a break from the ministerial stuff so I can minister different;y with neither a crematorium or a steeple in sight.

Diversity: It who yyou are and what we should be celebrating.

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Oh dear. A blast from my own past.

When serving as an Equality and Diversity Officer, Battlefield First Aid Instructor and An Environmental Health Instructor I was involved in these things that you describe. Teaching and testing, in the Main Recruits, because they were an important element to do this sort of thing with.

I recall many training weekends in training locations as diverse as Pirbright (D Lines), Longmoor and Crowborough and CPTA (St Martins Plain and Dibgate). Taking the 100 odd members of HQ Company (ranging in rank from Pte to Lt Col) and with others, doing their annual tests, including ranges and Combat Fitness Tests.

Happy days in many ways, because everyone there was a volunteer (apart from us as Permanent Staff) and that made the difference from my days with the Regular Army, where such stuff was routine and even regarded as boring.

And the reward of seeing people achieve good results from stuff they barely touched from year to year - being so busy doing their main jobs.

Well into my fifties I joined them in the CFT and BFT, just to prove to myself that I could still do this stuff - only giving up when my knees went.

I had forgotten, having retired in 2009, just how much I valued those opportunities - but I do know that it was a privilege to be part of it all.