Monday 20 December 2010

Americans have lost their own plot!

As I understand history, America was not founded to be an atheist nation but a nation where faith was an assumed and important part of personal and national identity. That said, by cleverly appealing to the constitution, America is now, apparently, a nation which flinches at nativity scenes in public places (unless they are accompanied by icons and images from other faiths, whether or not they celebrate Christmas).

America is a nation where it is NOT against the law to pray in schools but the fear of offending secularists, the fear of being labelled as extremist and the secularists, thanks to cowards in legal and education sectors, have removed the 'mandated' prayer (what we used to call 'assemblies' in the UK) from schools - but then again, pretty much so have the UK schools too!

In America, nativity scenes will cause secularists to take people to court for breaching the first amendment! They can impose their (lack of) belief on others in a way that merely celebrating something cannot? This is not even-handed, it's oppression and that's something that is wrong and needs to be addressed - the right way!

I assume that those secularists who oppose Christmas as a Christian festival will be seen at work next week, refusing to take the time off, as an indication of their integrity regarding this issue. Of course they won't, they want everything their way and are all about them and what they can have.

I also assume that if one has a right to believe in something, then another person has the right to not believe in that same something. If one person can stand and proclaim (loudly) about the errors of believing or acting in a certain way, there is also the right to state to opposite position - equally as loud and without restriction. This is the basis on which democracy works (and is Christian too!).

I believe that people have the right to engage in whatever addictions they choose to engage in just as much as it's O.K. for people to reain from such behaviour. That the former will ruin their life, and the lives of those around them, and will probably be living a life-shortening lifestyle is not something I want, but choice is their right. I have the right of course to oppose such lifestyles (because they're wrong according to logic, justice and, oh yeah, the Bible says so!).

If people wish to choose whatever sexual lifestyle they engage in then that's their choice (it still seems there's nothing in science to dispute it's not a choice by the way) but if I don't choose to make the same choices, that is my right. If people wish to promote their sexuality, then again they can, but others can promote an opposite view and it isn't 'phobia', it's merely an opposing view!

We need to start taking and making a stand for the things that we believe. I choose to make mine using the Bible as my yardstick, for by it I measure everything, and this is my right!

So a very merry Christmas - as we celebrate the coming together of God and man in the shape of Jesus, the Christ, which I do so because I have been born in a nation for whom Christian faith and nation were once one, because I met with Him and recognised the gist that is Jesus in my life and because having freedom to have my own views is a Christian gift (although some of the denominations have certainly abused their power and have, historically, removed that gift at times)which I choose to both exercise and retain - and in 2011 I encourage all to open and use it.

We still have a bit more of a grasp on things than our American cousins, so let's act before we too lose the plot?

Pax

3 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

We have placed the fear of offending non-Christians over the fear of offending the Lord by not praising His name loudly enough

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I totally agree.

I don't want to impose my faith upon others but I don't want to conceal my faith through fear either. I will praise the LORD and will stand as a Christian - this is my right and the imposition of the (non) faith of others on me will be resisted, with love and in the way that Christ calls us to stand.

After all, as Luther said, "Here I stand, I can do no more!" ditto. Going to eat worms !!!!

UKViewer said...

Excellent post.

I sometimes wonder why we seem embarrassed to be christians?

I do not disguise my beliefs and wear a small discreet crucifix around my neck, which could be decoration, but was in fact a gift of love from my spouse when I returned to faith and joined the church, she has been a lifelong member of.

Taking offence or believing that we will offend others by openly professing our religious beliefs is misplaced and actually out of fashion, when every secularist seems willing to shout their non-belief from the roof tops.

Perhaps we need to be a tiny less bit embarrassed and a bit more evangelical to get the message across, we are not dying, we are the living body of Christ, here and now.