Thursday 2 December 2010

Persecution and humiliation

I really feel for Colette French and Katie Green a lesbian couple who applied for a civil marriage licence at Petersfield register office, especially as I have also been treated exactly the same way by people who were unhelpful and uncaring.

These two ladies went into the register office to ask for a civil marriage licence, that piece of paper which would allow them to have a civil marriage conducted by a Registrar which is otherwise known as a 'register office wedding'.

Now they went, knowing that this was not on offer to same sex couples but they wanted to make a point and the pair felt they'd not been respected and humiliated at the refusal and the treatment (which is the sad bit). Of course, the Registrar's staff were probably much the same as they knew they were being set up and obviously decided not to play ball (which is understandable).

I recently went into my local butchers and asked for a variety of vegetables. I was treated extremely badly and was told that, "They didn't do that sort of stuff in this shop!" I asked again and the butcher started telling me that 'that stuff' wasn't available but he could offer me a nice pork chop or better still, "What about a lovely piece of prime steak!"

I tried to explain that having vegetables meant a great deal to me but the butcher was adamant. I asked whether he could put his refusal to supply me with vegetables in writing and I was met with obstructive and unkind words which I cannot bring myself to even write (how I wish Peter Tatchell was there, he'd have got my onions!).

I then realised that this had nothing to do with the vegetables, but was an obvious example of persecution. I was being acted against because of who I was! I decided to challenge the butcher, seeking to drag him into the condemning glare of the public (who I'm sure were supportive of me). So I asked him: "Are you doing this because I'm a Christian?"

His answer was clever and managed to deflect attention from his Christophobic tendencies: "Nah, I'm doing it because I'm a butcher and you're a ****!"

Perhaps changing the word 'butcher' for 'Registrar' might make this response equally fitting for the register office scenario too?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that comparing a loving relationship to the purchase of legumes does your case much good.

It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges!

All puns aside, you do tend to sound like a Tory from the bad old days when they were the nasty party. (Which may well still be the case, depending on who you ask.)


It's a shame because you could have made a decent argument without it.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I think my comparison stands very well for a number of reasons and at a number levels. That it doesn't suit your assessment, or ring your bell, is something you are both free and welcome to exercise.

To knowingly enter any premises knowing beforehand that what you desire is not available is, regardless of how much you might desire it, at best folly and at worst mischievous and worse besides.

I have to assume that you someone who opposed Tories of the bad old days and have to admit that I probably opposed people like you as much as I opposed them - still, at least you've got your rocks off assigning something or other to me, so I've obviously done some good.

I think the parody addressed both the registry office and the 'oooh, I'm persecuted' stuff and I realise that it's not everyone's cup of tea - but it was me being honest.

Thanks for the comments though - Pax

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Having been alerted by a very helpful and caring person who has pointed out that the names were wrong I have changed them and alerted the person who challenged me over this issue so that they might correct their information also,

Thank you for that, point well taken.

pax

Oscar said...

I thought I'd read another rather negative post here but it appears to have vanished?

I think the perspective you bring to both issues (and the humour) are rather welcome in the light of the rancour and bile of others. You obviously don't support but neither do you condemn.

Thank you.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Just back from the church Christmas Revue and found your comments for which I thank you.

There was another post which pointed out that the information I had received was out of sync in that some names were transposed. I have now remedied that error.

I think the biggest problems lie in the fact that firstly, people are hurt, because this is for them a personal issue and, an assessment of them and secondly because there are to be frank some vile people out there who deny the love of Christ in almost everything that they do.

We need to find the places we can see Christ in others and work from there rather than decide we are right and attack from the differences. This, regardless of the ways some would try to represent or attack me is what I seek to do.

Pax