Saturday 18 December 2010

Why Blog?

I was asked what my blog is about and why do I do it?

Well, I blog for a number of reasons and all of them are pretty selfish!

The first reason is that it gives me a place to use as a scratchpad for my life As things come along I will dialogue on (electronic) paper with the things that excite, frustrate or make my laugh! I will find myself splurging onto the screen an issue or happening that has been part of my reality and mull it over. It's a place for me, but I realise that some people also find it useful/helpful/interesting/annoying (delete as applicable) and so it's in the public domain.

The next reason is that it enables me to create some material that those with whom I am dialoguing elsewhere might find useful. This is the reason I will do stuff on Church growth and Mission Action Plans (because I'm a missioner) or perhaps on ministry and calling (because I'm a vocation's advisor) or on things that touch people in other areas too. Perhaps, as with the 'Christian Brands' theme, I have been asked to clarify what certain groups belief and help others determine whether or not they are 'Christian'.  But again, it is a response and it's all pretty much who I am and comes from what I'm doing.

Another reason for me doing the blogging is that I can do it quickly and I splurge whatever is before me and return to the thoughts that were running around my bonce before my day began to consider them.
The bottom line is that this blog is me. I don't try to show people how clever I am (because I'm obviously not). I don't try to push any particular political position and I don't try to proselytise or offend because of the theological beliefs I have.

I write as who I am and my beliefs are (I hope) obvious and my positions clear. I don't spend hours at the keyboard (I was saddened by someone who wrote on their blog that their life had become a search for stuff to blog on) or invent stuff in order to have an opinion on it. It not an issue that Ruth Gedhill or Andrew Brown don't comment on the blog or quote it (I don't pay to read her words but his but do enjoy his (free) articles) for it's not about being quoted - it's more about being! And being Christian!

So, for those who read the blog and enjoy it - a big Thank You.

For those who comment and take me to task - Thank You again, I like being engaged with and am always open to correction, it's how we grow!

For those who do quote me - best take out insurance!

For those who don't read this blog, well I can say what I like can't I (but I'm far too nice) - Thank You again, for at least you won't be infuriated by who I am and what I write!

And as for the person who asked yesterday - here's a swift five minute response in writing (as promised). I'm glad you find it challenging, frustrating, engaging and 'sometimes' immature - that's probably who I am and is exactly what this blog is:

"The thoughts and musings of a (below) average Church of England Priest!"

Pax

2 comments:

Rev Trev said...

Aha! But how do you know Ruth Gledhill doesn't read your blog?

I do agree with you about having to pay for the Times' content though - haven't purchased a copy since they started charging and don't appear that much the worse for wear (or information).

Happy Holi . . . (only joking)

A very merry Christmas and a propserous and joful New Year.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I'm sure she doesn't - not enough something or other for that.

Just a humble side street enjoying myself with nothing that quoteworthy, which is probably good for whenever I've been quoted in the past it's led me in to trouble!

A very merry Christmas to you and yours too!