Tuesday 6 March 2012

Where's my Raspberry Pi?

When I started out in the wonderful world of computers there was little choice. In fact my first computers were a Z80 developer's kit (with hexi-decimal keypad), a Nascom and Tangerine's Tanbug. All of these gave me the opportunity to enter into the wonderful world of computing at a time when there was little else out there (it was the end of the seventies don't forget!).

I learned a lot about programming (and soldering) from these early days and later forays into such wonderful objects as the Commodore PET, Apple][ and, of course, the BBC B I cut my teeth on hardware and software engineering. How I wished that these opportunities to do the same existed for my children, especially in our consumer-led, 'works out of the box' existence.

Well someone must have heard my cries for we have been blessed with a wonderful opportunity to return to the breadboard computing days with a superb project from a 'non for profit group', the Raspberry Pi foundation, by the name of the 'Raspberry Pi - Model B'.


The spec's for which (for those interested parties) are:


  • Broadcom BCM2835 700MHz ARM1176JZFS processor with FPU and Videocore 4 GPU
  • GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
  • GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure
  • 256MB RAM
  • Boots from an SD card (Fedora version of Linux)
  • 10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket
  • HDMI socket
  • USB 2.0 socket
  • RCA video socket
  • SD card socket
  • Powered from microUSB socket
  • 3.5mm audio out jack
  • Header footprint for camera connection
  • 85.6 x 53.98 x 17mm

And costs less than £25!

So, if you have children (or are even a bit interested in computing at the grassroots level - this is the toy for them (and you).

Now - what can I do with it to justify using them in church (which has to be done - doesn't it?), after all it can do everything the big boys do, once you've made it do it of course - and that's the attraction (or perhaps not for those who are happy to be consumers!

First there was

And now, thinking of Windoze I can offer a heartfelt

:-)

No comments: