Wednesday 21 March 2012

Ebb and Flow

I have received an email relating to the blog from a lady asking me three questions:

1. How is it you appear to post lots and then so little?

2. Why don't you do more theology like the other blogs?  and

3. Why don't you nail your colours to the mast and make a stand against those with whom you disagree?

The reason that you find 'feast and famine' is quite simply a reflection of the working day and those things that occur within it. Some days I manage to get back to the palace and will reflect on those things that have occurred and the blog is part of my personal reflection process. I talk things out on the screen and leave them hanging to be considered, revisited and generally dealt with in some way. The natural ebb and flow of the daily engagements, the challenges and the funny all have the potential to find their way onto the blog.

That said, I have noticed that some of those who blog appear to have their lives totally taken up with clever things that they have sourced or sought. A conversation with a prolific blogger caused me some discomfort as I became aware that they were not engaging with me (and others) but merely seeking 'copy' for their blog. The blog is a servant of me and my ministry and (hopefully) a source of challenge and information for some of those I am engaged with in various ways, it is not my master!

The second question regarding theology is an interesting one as I think that there is a great deal of theology in what is to be found in this place. What I think the question is asking is, "Why don't you use theologyspeak?" The answer is that as one who seeks to be a theologian my task is to make the difficult concepts and issues that occur in Christian living understandable and to encourage those who stumble upon the simple concepts to make them everyday occurences. One of the courses of study I undertook challenged us to write about theological issues without the theological shorthand (eschatalogical, soterological, theodicy and the like).

A lecture I was most privileged to attended this week was full of what someone described as 'proper theology' as we considered 'kenosis, hierarchy and power and discussed the impact of this topic on eschatology and soteriology as we developed a reality which we called 'kenarchy' (a fantastic concept which disarms liberation theologians and also empowers them)'. As we were getting ready to go, one of my clergy colleagues told one of those they'd come with that, "It must have been good, didn't undertsand a word!' Now, I'm sure they were only joking, but this is what so many people assume theology is for - big words and more confusion.

When it comes to 'nailing colours to the mast, I think I have, and do. I am not prepared to trade insults for this benefits no one and serves only to polarise. I am always willing to dialogue, but not willing to be labelled, shouted at or abused for the sake of a man-made issue - that said, I am prepared to endure same for the Gospel and the name of God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). I don't think anyone who has read this blog will be left in any doubt that my humour is flawed (as is the man) and my heart is set on God and His work of making disciples, coming alongside others (paraclete) and preaching the Gospel in and out of season. I don't see a place for condemning in the Christian life but then again neither do I see any call to deny that which we hold to be true (as long as it conforms with Biblical standards that is).

I used one of those word cloud applications on the blog to see what words it came up with and what it focussed on and (happilly) this is what came out the other end:



Seems about right!

I hope this answers the questions and hopefully those who pop by will understand why I don't write on the same topic areas as others and why you won't find such wonderfully worded theology that you need to lie down after readings it - I think the humour does that on its own :-)

4 comments:

UKViewer said...

I'm glad you understood the paragraph about theology, because I was lost.

Theology is basically talking about God, and in Jesus' time, he would have used the vernacular so to speak, so your talk about God in the vernacular is just as much theology as those who use theology speak.

I always keep a dictionary handy If I visit one of those blogs, but to be honest, I normally avoid them if I can.

Once, and if, I get a theological education, than I might engage, but I actually think that using inaccessible language, understood by an elite is not the way to bring people to listen, read and to engage.

The Plain English campaign has got it right I think.

On some blogs you get mores sense from the security questions than the blog itself. Today, one of the words here is orwily. Going away to reflect on it and see if I can turn it into theology.

Revsimmy said...

You're doing a great job, Vic - theology without the mystifying vocab.

I am slightly (though not entirely mystified by the "nail your colours" comment. Mystified because to me you almost always let us know where you stand and what your thoughts are on a particular issue. Only slightly because what many people mean when they say this is that they want you to speak/write dogmatically as if no other position could possibly be tenable. I am very glad to say that my experience of you both here and IRL is that you are open to dialogue and conversation with those who may not agree with you - something that becomes impossible if we convey the attitude that we cannot be wrong.

Keep up the good work (as other priorities allow, of course).

Bob Smith said...

Why hide behind big words?
Surely "preaching" is explaining the concepts and realities about Christ in words and phrases that the listener is able to understand and apply to their situation.
Yes, sometimes you have to go into the "big words", use them as a sort of short-hand, but explain them at first use so that the listener knows what YOU mean by that word, not what they think you mean, or what they understand that word to mean.
I was taught this about forty years ago soon after I started work, and since then I've found it to apply in almost every situation I've found myself in. I also know that it can make life harder for you during the preparation of a sermon/blog/talk, but it is so worth it at then end when you get "real" questions and reactions as opposed to the "That was a nice talk"

Jenni said...

Have enjoyed this blog for a few years now. Like your humour. Jesus was very funny, our Western Culture often misses it .

Keep doing what your're doing, it works.