Monday 11 June 2012

It Ain’t what you Do . .

It the way that you do it and the person you’re doing it for!

All too often I come across people who regard the Church as a bunch of ‘do gooders’. The current government’s ‘Big Society’ looks towards the Church as a source of pastoral care and concern and social action. The Church itself speaks of ‘being missional’ (that is taking its members out of the church buildings and engaging with those who aren’t Church) So how do we consider this and more importantly, how do we respond to it?

In Matthew Chapter twenty-eight, Jesus tell those who bear the name ‘Christian’ that they should go into ALL the world, which means to everyone, everywhere! Not just those whom we choose where we’d like to choose them, but everywhere and for everyone.

Whilst we are out there, we are to tell people about God’s love and the ability to live in peace with God and with one another that is won for us through the Cross of Christ.

Then having told the people and having made them aware we are to lead them to the waters of baptism (baptising once and once only and that in the name of the father, Son and Holy Spirit) and into a life of faith.

From this life of faith we help each other to grow and become the people we’d like to be and whom our society needs us to be. People who keeps God’s (and man’s) laws and live according to them. The fruits of this are a society that cares for others because this is what God calls us to do, look after our neighbours; forgive those who act against us and bind up the broken.

This is the way that we live as ‘Big Society’ but we can’t do it without the God bit! To act in the right way, doing the right things and living for others without God in the mix is to become the ‘do gooders’ the worlds sneers at the Church for being! Church as ‘Big Society’ is something I long to see, but I don’t believe you can have it without mentioning, and living, the love of Jesus, the Christ (and recently I have come across more than a few church projects who are doing just this - which makes it a great social project but my question is 'Is it really Christian'?)

If we want to make a difference to your street, town or County (or nation or world) we need to come to God and ask Him to fill us with His Holy Spirit; put aside the things that separate us ofr God and neighbour and get stuck into:

Caring for the weak, the poor and the hungry.

Standing against wrong, no matter who it is that is doing it!

Acting to see right that the things are done to stop oppression, prejudice and cruelty.

Praying to see God’s hand at work and to make sure that we do what God is calling us to (prayer means listening too).

Reading our Bibles to understand what is required of us and to see the many ways in which God has acted and bless this world and its inhabitants.

Meeting together to be family and to share what we have in terms of gifts, abilities and possessions.

So there it is – it’s not what we do, it’s our motives and the person we are doing it for (and with).

Can people see Jesus in the way you live and the ways in which you touch the lives of those you meet? If the answer is ‘No’ then talk to one of your fellow believers, lay minister, clergy and get them to help you get on the right path.

Pax

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

I suspect that most Christians live out their lives by 'degrees' in that I mean that we subscribe to the things that you describe in one form or another, but find it a balancing act to do all of them, all of the time.

I know that there are elements of those items that I find problematic. Particularly the action areas. How can I hope to stop injustice, without a revolution. Jesus tells us to give to Caesar what it Caesar's and to God what is God's. So, I can make a stand against injustice, but it needs to be peaceful, and in reality, is limited by what is or is not lawful (Giving to Caesar).

I can use prayer and participation in pressure groups. I can join and work with a charity that supports the homeless or prisoners - but that is one tiny effort, mounted in a huge arena of public indifference and even resentment that I should want to do these things.

I can ignore that, but it's a hard road to be at odds with friends and family, who disagree with what you are doing. Jesus said that we should leave all of this behind and follow him - but how can I when I love and cherish them.

I see that I tend to do all of the things that you describe, but I suspect that my 'degree's' are insufficient to make a real difference. Only if we all do these things in small ways, can the greater whole be achieved.

So, my prayer is that I increase what I am doing to encourage others to join in. Than I might be making a difference.