Sunday 8 January 2012

Daily Office - Jan 8

Psalm 89.19-29
You spoke once in a vision and said to your faithful people: ‘I have set a youth above the mighty; I have raised a young man over the people. ‘I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him. ‘My hand shall hold him fast and my arm shall strengthen him. ‘No enemy shall deceive him, nor any wicked person afflict him. ‘I will strike down his foes before his face and beat down those that hate him. ‘My truth also and my steadfast love shall be with him, and in my name shall his head be exalted. ‘I will set his dominion upon the sea and his right hand upon the rivers. ‘He shall call to me, “You are my Father, my God, and the rock of my salvation;” ‘And I will make him my firstborn: the most high above the kings of the earth. ‘The love I have pledged to him will I keep for ever, and my covenant will stand fast with him. ‘His seed also will I make to endure for ever •
and his throne as the days of heaven.

1 Samuel 16.1-3,13
The Lord said to Samuel, ‘How long will you grieve over Saul? I have rejected him from being king over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and set out; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have provided for myself a king among his sons.’ Samuel said, ‘How can I go? If Saul hears of it, he will kill me.’ And the Lord said, ‘Take a heifer with you, and say, “I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.” Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; and you shall anoint for me the one whom I name to you.’ Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the presence of his brothers; and the spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward. Samuel then set out and went to Ramah.

John 1.29-34
The next day he saw Jesus coming towards him and declared, ‘Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, “After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me.” I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel.’ And John testified, ‘I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water said to me, “He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain is the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.” And I myself have seen and have testified that this is the Son of God.’


The Collect
Eternal Father,
who at the baptism of Jesus revealed him to be your Son,
anointing him with the Holy Spirit:
grant to us, who are born again by water and the Spirit,
that we may be faithful to our calling as your adopted children;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: