Monday 23 January 2012

Songs of Praise . . .

Thoughts of despair!

Passing through last night I decided to have a quick look at the news and turned to the BBC only to find 'Songs of praise'. Apart from a sublime woodwind piece (spoiled only by people singing over it!) there was little to cheer my missional bones as the camera panned, time and time again, over a sea of wrinklies (AKA the fighting force of the Church). No matter where the camera went there were no teens and the question, "Where are the young people?", rattled around in my brain.

Children's church of the future?

Perhaps this was a service for the older generation? A quick look at the billing denied that!

Perhaps Colchester is a place with no young, had the Pied Piper of Chelmsford been through? A quick look at the demographics put paid to that thought too!

Tea drunk I rushed off to our local RC church for an excellent unity service and what a shock, there weren't any really young people there either (unless you count toddlers and babes in arm that is).

So the thought that has pulled me out of bed at this wonderfully quiet and time to chat with God hour is this. What makes for a relevant and authentic church with younger people? Something I will be asking, exploring and commenting on over the coming days I'm sure.

Hope I don't keep you up with my praying - but don't go back to sleep, I'm not!

Pax

No comments: