Wednesday 11 January 2012

What the Vicar does or doesn't do!

One of the interesting considerations that crops up in my working day is a visit to, "You do too much," city! An interesting condundrum which involves that which I addressed slightly in the blog 'If you build it' and the blog entry which considered the issue of 'Healthy dogcollar or healthy church'.

The issue is that when I engage in conversation with members of churches regarding mission, the perception of those members with regard to their Vicar falls neatly into three distinct camps:

!. The Vicar does nothing

2. The Vicar does it all, and (the good Anglican option)

3. I couldn't possibly say!

Now the first category is usually taken up by those who have a host of good ideas on how the church could be built and they take pleasure (and great pains) to tell me how, "If only the Vicar would do something," the church could grow and the ministry flourish.When this happens I ask them what they have seen that isn't being done and how they have started doing it so that it is being done. I have to say that to date I haven't had a single person who has identified all the Vicar isn't doing and decided that they would make it happen instead. Well I guess it is the Vicar's job isn't it?

The second category will tell me how much is going on (and stand happily in the team photograph and take the shared applause) but will tell me that the Vicar is doing it all and that they can't get a look in. When I ask them what it's like being in the team that works in one, any or all of the areas that have been given as the province of the 'Vicar doing everything'! The usual response is that they aren't in the team (if there is one and oddly there usually is) and as we talk further it seems that the real complaint is that they aren't in charge themselves.

The last group are the strangest because first and foremost they aren't complaining (and that is indeed very strange!). They are also the people who generally ask nothing from church other than it continuing as a place where they can come, sit in their same seat and enjoy the same service and then, ritual / habit /whatever complete, swan of home. Sadly they are also generally the people who bring nothing to church either (other than the pound coin they've always given as their admission fee!).

Whilst we know where the first two voices are to be found the last voice is actually a silence that condemns the church (and the Church) to something that is terminal and it is these very same people who, once caught alight, can set fire to the whole people of God.

Now as I understand it we cannot do Church without being collaborative and the whole message of the body being in need of the many organs that comprise it and being connected to them as a whole is one of the big hints as to how Church functions (or at least should function).

The problem is that some look at the poor of dogcollar [DC] (perhaps that should be dogsbody?) and expect them to do whatever task they are pointed to whilst the pointee stands back to admire the fulfilment of the work through the actions of others.

The problem is that some want to work in an area but the DC is doing that and won't let anyone else have the job. The reality as I see it is that there are few in ministry who would not relish giving over an area of work to someone else, even if it means having to train them to do the role. This is true for me and for the majority of those who want to do - so if you're one of the who wants to be a do'er - go tell the person leading your church now and make their day. Of course when you do you shouldn't expect to just be handed it and left to your own devices as this is wrong on so many levels and where I've seen it happen has been the formula for disaster! But when you ask, there should be a discussion and a plan set in motion to transition the area away such that the DC can go plough other fields (wow, sounds a lot like diakonos doesn't it?).

The other problem is that some just want to be in control but don't actually ever get into the area of doing. This is rarely (in my limited wit and experience) due to lack of opportunity but is due to some other factor - The 'I cannot come to the banquet with you right now' syndrome. I have seen many (can I say too many without offence? Too late - just did!) who live in this and bemoan the lack of opportunity and fail to mention their lack of getting off their behindsides and just getting on with it. They point publicly and in their own comfortable places sing their 'I cannot come' song!

Time is coming that our churches are going to have to live in the reality that we exist to praise God, bring help to the helpless, love to the unloveable and discomfort to the comfortable.

How's it looking from your end of the wire?

1 comment:

barrydrake said...

I love this post! I've put a link on the Colwick News; I'm part of the editorial team. I'm a URC minister, now retired (whatever that means).

Wile I was in pastoral charge of a church, I found that my biggest strength was the ability to delegate. I had a wonderful pastorate - one in which things 'just happened'. The elders were brilliant at keeping in touch with members, and I would get a call to arrange for me to visit, along with that elder, when 'the minister' was needed.

I never, ever, had to do any admin, and leading worship there was a pleasure. It was also really wonderful to attend that church when members and elders were leading the worship.

The only thing I don't miss in my retirement is church politics and meetings. It is lovely to be 'the visiting preacher' at a number of churches. I can do the job, and walk away with no other responsibility!

Thank you for your thoughts.