Friday 6 January 2012

Hijacking Easter

Telephone rang yesterday:

"Hello, is that the Vicar?"

"Yes, it is, what can I do for you?"

"I want to get married.

[Pause to allow shock to subside, we just don't get weddings here because we are surrounded by picturesque church buildings which mean that out 1960's 'Barrett Building' isn't usually a first, second or third choice!]

"And when would you like get married?"

"Eleven O'clock on Easter Sunday."

"That's a bit of a busy day and we will be doing our morning communion service at that time and so wouldn't be able to do it then."

But I want to get married on Easter Sunday and can't get a registrar and a friend told me that you were a nice vicar and would do it!"

"Well that's kind of your friend but Easter Sunday is a bit of a special day for the Church and so as this is the primary service of the year as I see it and so couldn't do it on that day at that time."

"Who's your boss? I want their telephone number because it says in my book that Vicars HAVE to marry us!"

"Certainly, the bishop's telephone number is nnnnn. I'm sorry I couldn't help."

Phone goes down and I've become just a little more confused than usual.

Wondering what else I could have done (and whether, if I'd said 'Yes' whether I would then be told they wanted it at St Wallyburgs in the Mire - it's happened before. they want the vicar but not the church building he's attached to!!!) I turn to Google and find these comments regarding Easter Sunday services (Wedding.theknot.com):

I am also getting married on easter sunday. I have found that my guests have no problem with it and even my vendors are ok with it. Although I am not Christian, it was initially a concern for my guests...but I come to find to them at least it is no big deal and they are happy to celebrate my day with me.

Actually, Easter is a very joyous day as it has been discovered that Jesus was restructured. The season of lent is over as of Easter morning. Lent is a time of mourning and Easter is a day to celebrate. It is this day that is very appropriate for the celebrations of things such as the baptism of babies and uniting people in marriage.

Couples are allowed to get married during Lent in the Catholic Church, however, some priests still choose not to preform wedding ceremonies during that time. Definitely check with the priest before setting a wedding date during Lent!

I am getting married on Easter in Florida and haven't had to much of a problem. My grandmother and I were very close and she and my grandfather were married on the same date, and it was Easter, in 1936. I saw it as a sign! Even though it is a holiday, the most religous of relatives and friends decided that it would be a great idea to spend it together with us. I even had someone say that it was truly a new beginning!

Some days it seems that you just can't win! Would have been happy to have done it after the main service but this obviously wasn't going to be acceptable and so I await a call from the floor above!

Hey Ho!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the church is seen more and more by those outside as just another service industry, here to perform at their whim and will. The consumer culture is trying its best to consume us - good for you for standing your ground!

The Churchwarden said...

You just desperately WANT him to be living six inches outside the parish boundary - with no Qualifying Connection, of course!

Paul Wilkinson said...

Easter was probably a second choice after Christmas Eve (just before midnight) was unavailable everywhere else.