Tuesday 11 August 2020

Covid-19 and 2020: Opportunities and blessings (count yours)

How odd life can be - somehow this seems to have been one of the best years ever experienced for so many reasons. Stop to count your blessings; how many are there?

Here's my quick and messy starter with ten blessings:

1.   Stopped care homes but cared in homes.

2.   Took the Word of God (living and written) into peoples homes using technology
      (am I the only one to go, "Oooh, technology!" (in a Homer Simpson voice)?

3.   Got to stream funerals and be creative with way people are encouraged and supported to mourn.

4.   Did virtual military remembrance services (one two at the same time).

5.   Recorded and streamed some services (that said, we've done the majority live)
      This means that at last I can proved I can be in two places at the same time!

6.   Got to shop for people (which we're still doing), started supplying drugs (prescription only, honest
      Occifer).

7.   Had the challenge of three funerals in four locations in one day
      (one church, one burial, two different crematoria)

8.   Was part of pastorally-engaged and effective Church which put aside fees and catered for feelings
      of bereaved and brokenness of our communities.

9.   Managed to continually stream morning and evening prayer, compline, BCP evensong
      (Communion coming) and CW Communion and returned congregations back to buildings.

10. Entered into the world of 'virtual' care home visits where the cleric is passed from one resident to
      the next as they get to spend time with ,e.

The world has become so very different over the past few months - and I thing it is an invitation to blessing and service to me and others around me.

I'm sad at the loss,
                the fear,
                the lack of consideration for others as people fail to protect those around them


2 comments:

UKViewer said...

Being positive about the situation in a pandemic is something that takes the sort of resilience I struggle to possess. The reality for me was due to age (over 70) and a pre-existing condition (Diabetes) I was locked out of the ministry I so valued. Public facing, pastoral care, visiting for home communion to care homes and individuals homes. Also, the ministry of waiting in church, keeping it open, for pastoral opportunities, which happened often, and funerals which were a big part of my ministry. I have resorted to recording sermons for online service and maintaining our online presence via facebook and whatsapp. Than, just as I was about to stop shielding, my spouse had a stroke. So, the past few weeks have been anxiety and worry, not being able to visit her in two different hospitals, until she came home 4 weeks later. She is not an invalid, she can function quite well, with obvious weaknesses with strength, dexterity and speech. She had three weeks of hospital rehab and is now having two weeks of intensive home rehab and will have a further four weeks of less intensive rehab ongoing. After that, follow up will be dependent on how her progress is monitored. She won't be able to drive until passed fit to do so, nor return to work until occupational health has passed her capable of doing the work place functions she was doing previously, with adaptions and perhaps a job change in due course, or even ill health retirement, if she is unable to work to the standard she would wish to achieve.

Being positive after such a life changing event as this has been difficult. In the initial stages I lamented, and the psalms and the BCP were my refuge from the difficulties day to day presented. Extracting information from hospital staffs was frustrating and while we were able to see each other through through video calls, it was distressing to see her with a tube inserted to feed her for the first three weeks in hospital.

Now with several home adaptions pending, including a new bathroom, it seems to be getting easier to be positive about the future. Whatever the changes the stroke has wrought on her, underneath she is still the woman I love and married 31 years ago, and her sense of humour and determination to get as well as possible are inspiring me.

Prayers are part of it, but also the kindness we have experienced from so many has been a consolation, some strangers who have heard through our community grapevine have offered support and kindness, demonstrating that people we don't know very well have an innate goodness, whatever or wherever they are from. It shows that God works through many we might believe to be secular or not religious, because his spirit works, in so many.
That sustains my hope and reassures me that we are not alone.

God works in ways to give us positive signs, so I would be a poor disciple if I didn't recognize that and be thankful to him each day.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

I’m so sorry I didn’t know about the OH and her health situation. Prayer list addition done.

I’m heading towards the day when the church (like the army did) boot out of the door and understand the shielding piece well.

Hank you for your comments - the reality is that it was never billed as easy, the Christian thing, and yet here we both are continuing and learn to be content.

On the bus, off the bus, hurry up and wait. It’s all the same things, we just change the scenery and the person shouting at us.

Keep in living the dream my friend :-)

V