Thursday 1 October 2009

Living in a world of 'Good Ideas'

Being the person I am, I have always inhabited a world of 'good ideas'! Some of these have resulted in excellent outcomes, some of my own have earned me plaudits from my peers and even promotions. Others however have led me down the road of devastation, despair and broken bits of my body (not always my own ideas might I add).

For instance there was the great, "Would you like to climb a tree?" episode when I was eleven. That I didn't fancy being up a tree did nothing to stop me being placed on a branch, only to have it snap seconds later and send me plummeting to the ground. The result? A broken arm which to this day is ninety degrees out of bonk and has resulted in me being no longer a left-handed person (thanks to the expertise of the NHS of the day!!!).

There was the great regatta idea where I found myself wowing the crowds with my riding a bicycle over a half folded trestle table. (Actually the idea was that the table would collapse when the front wheel hit is and I'd ride over the flattened table - a great wind-up. Sadly, someone not realising this re-erected the table so the leg wouldn't collapse!). Not only did I wow them but I did a somersault and landed majestically breaking collar-bone and shoulder blade.

So I know from personal experience that good ideas can turn to dust because of the 'helpfulness' of others and sometimes they just aren't good ideas to start with! Some of the good ideas I have had to cope with have been generated by idiots in positions of authority, more concerned with their own paths to glory than the needs of those they were leading or the realities of achieving what was to be promised.

In reaching the point I have in my life I have suffered from a surfeit of good ideas from politicians, businessmen, lecturers and well meaning amateurs. Some have been good and others woefully useless (and on the part of politicians and businessmen, time-wastingly expensive)

So here's a question for us to ponder. What good ideas do you have for your own life, the life of your church (if you belong to one), the place you work and for those you love? What do you do with these ideas? The road to hell is often paved with them, but so to is the road to heaven. How's about we start doing some travelling?

cartoon from www.weblogcartoons.com

Cartoon by Dave Walker. Find more cartoons you can freely re-use on your blog at We Blog Cartoons.

No comments: