Sunday 28 March 2010

Taking the bullet or passing the buck?

I was more than  little miffed to find that one of my sprogs had taken my sleeping bag to a Scout camp and returned without it. Not your ordinary run of the mill 'el cheapo' bag, this was a smart, warm and expensive version. Just what daddy needs when dug in somewhere cold  in the field.

Mummy goes to pick up our scouting hero and upon finding that he is bereft Dad's 'good' bag enquires of the Scout Leader the where's and why's of the situation.

She is informed that the Scout's property is their own concern and that if one has left stuff behind it is their own fault.  Each is responsible for his own load (a good Biblical precept in part) and none other (so who is my brother's keeper and is this how BP saw Scouting in terms of teamwork and Christian endeavour?).

Mumsy goes back to Scout and asks why he left bag behind only to be informed that all the Scouts were instructed to leave their stuff in their rooms (by the Leaders) so that they could collect and pack the vehicles properly. Better still, the person who has passed the information about responsibility appears also to be one of the leaders who told them to leave the stuff in their rooms for collection - memory laps or something more concern-making?

Isn't this a great example of what Scouting should not be about? Accountability or passing the buck? The wonderfully sloped shoulders of leadership demonstrating the paucity of integrity, honesty and conveying something that perhaps accounts for some of the comments I hear (and have tried to defend Scouting against) versus self-reliance, honesty, integrity and the Scouting code.

Still, our little Scout has had his training for the  'passing the buck/shifting the blame' and the 'not my problem' badges I guess - thought BP wanted to equip good citizens, not more of the same. Seems the best way when faced with a problem is to resort to pointing and passing the blame - a great lesson which I hope will not be well learned. Are you listening Bear, you have a lot of work to do me old mate.

Very sad indeed :(

3 comments:

UKViewer said...

It seems strange that the Scout Leader can just shrug off responsibility.

While they are voluntary positions, they accept a level of responsibility and accountability when they accept the role.

One thing the army teaches is that while each soldier is responsible for himself, the junior commanders (Section Second in Commands) actually have a responsibility to ensure that each has all that they need. When leaving a location, a 100% sweep is carried out to ensure that all kit has been retrieved.

While the Scout Movement is not the Army, is comes from Army roots with Baden Powell. And I would have thought that a similar pattern of self discipline and field administration would have carried on there.

Abrogation of leadership responsibility can have consequences for all - perhaps the scout leader needs reminding of that.

I don't suppose that the precaution of insurance was in place?

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Well the scout camp they went to has confirmed that the site was clear and therefore the bag has left so it must inadvertently have ended up in someone's vehicle (where it must still be) or someone has inadvertently mistaken theirs for this £100+ super bag (aren't I kind and generous) and somehow taken both!!

What is sure is that this senior member of the scouting fraternity tried to push the liability onto the scout and I find this to be totally despicable (I'm not much more impressed with the other members of the team who thought the complaint was something to laugh about either).

I agree totally with your references to the Army and would extend it to embrace the core values:
Selfless Commitment
Respect for others, respect for self,
Loyalty,
Integrity,
Discipline, and
Courage (moral and the more common ideal of 'bravery').

Thanks for your comments,

V

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

And although I can't afford to replace the bag, this is not my greatest niggle (I still think it will return anyway, things tend to!).

My concern is that my son learns the right way to handle incidents like this, which after all life is full of, in the right manner.

I want him to put his hands up and say, "Yep, I blew it," and be a (hopefully Godly) man.

It's tough to teach kids (and adults) to be responsible and accountable, but it's what he needs to be able to look himself in the mirror.

I hope this clarifies the situation - possessions are the least of the concern.