Wednesday 9 June 2010

Some random Israel related thoughts

Just as it says on the tin, this is a place where I ponder and dialogue (internally and with others) over issues that present themselves before me and my limited take on the world. Before I try to find answers for Simon's excellent (and challenging) questions, here's some of the thinking that has cropped up so far.

I have been challenged by a number of people as to what (and who) I think 'Israel' is. Well, as I told one friend, I'm coming to the conclusion that Israel is a spiritual entity rather than a territorial blob on a map. Israel is a state of mind and a proclamation of faith and will one day see God restore to them Jerusalem. This, of course, makes for a interesting tension as I look for ways to bless Israel and avoid being distracted by an ersatz nation created by man.

This leads me on to another track, one which is rather interesting and has much wider implications for me.

I got into a really interesting (aren't I polite) regarding the rebuilding of the temple and the restoration of Israel. I was told that the nation of Israel had been restored and now all that was left was the building of the Temple and the Messiah 'had to come'. I pointed out that God and 'had to' didn't go together in my Bible, it was more like God and 'wants to'!

This prompts a weird thought:

If God says that A has to happen as a condition for B to occur, if we make A happen does this mean that B is now a done deal?

Here's a little for instance. God says he will deal with a situation and having done so He will return. If we, being helpful and desirous of His return, rush out and through political, financial or other means, resolve the situation 'for Him', does this mean He has to come back? Or will He merely wait until the condition have been set by Him and then return, rendering our actions hollow and flawed?

There are twin dangers either side of the right option. One is that we do nothing and let God do the stuff, the other is that we bring about the result by our own means (political, financial and the like). Finding the balance here is important as we need to bless what God is doing and also play our part in it.

Simon - I will return to your questions over the next couple of days. Like you I feel it important to bless Israel and yet also be realistic (and aware) of the spiritual truths of being Israel. It is certainly not an easy topic but I cannot sign up for the Israel 'right or wrong' approach.

Thanks people

1 comment:

Revsimmy said...

God is already (re)building the Temple - out of living stones. But there, I'm getting my spiritual and physical entities mixed up again!

Another question (no answers, I'm afraid) - to what extent (if at all) does God get involved in the affairs of the nations? If so, how (if at all) is God involved in the "ersatz nation" of Israel?