Wednesday 10 August 2011

The 'fog of war'

Whilst touring the English Civil War battlefield site of Naseby last week I was intrigued by the origin of the term 'fog of war' and how it was ascribed to the powder smoke of the many muskets drifting across the field of combat. The smoke obscured much and added greatly to the confusion such that the whole outcome of engagements could be changed.

This seems to be a key factor in the battles we wage within Christian circles too!

Recently I have been engaged in dialogue over a few issues where (other) people have been led into positions of confusion by the smoke that is ad hominem, foggy and clouded thinking and tricks of the light (or should that be 'dark'?).

When we consider issues, we need to do so openly. We need to be honest about the spin we put on things, the straw men we bring to the party and our reasons for thinking as we do (and for trying to sell our position to others too!).

Seems to me that wanting things to be as we would like them to be is neither theologically or even logically sound. That revisiting the issues that challenge our desires with a view to rewriting them in our favour is enough fog to hand the skirmish and, for some, the battle over to the enemy.

Out in the open, clearly seen, not in the shadows or amidst the fog - that is the Christian way.

Pax

1 comment:

UKViewer said...

Just thinking that engaging honestly with thinks, seems to be something I came to quite late in life, in fact since I became a (re-born) Christian.

Before, I had the luxury of allowing my own prejudices and pre-conceptions to dominate, therefore, engaging with platitudes, truths that I believed in and any other rubbish that came to mind.

Since becoming a Christian, I've shed so much baggage, but have been obliged to be transparent and honest when engaging, even through the blogosphere. This honesty has been a boon, as has acceptance and listening and being able to take a different view of things, without being hide-bound by former baggage.

It's been about change, so much that I can't recognize myself from three years ago, but change that has needed discernment to try to seek out the good from the rest. It's ongoing and will hopefully be life-long.

I agree about smoke and mirrors, there are some politicians who should be honorary members of the Magic Circle.