Thursday 15 March 2012

OFSTED, Daffodils, Memories and Rights

One of the greatest challenges faced by many of those who have taken the King's shilling and stepped forward to engage in the battle that is Christianity has to be the ebb and flow of tasks and the diversity of same. I was asked yesterday what I thought the role of a cleric (and the workload) was, so here's today as it appears at seven am:

Today the school I am a Governor at begins a two-day Ofsted inspection and so I will be doing an assembly this morning and being around to answer questions on the RE elements and attendance (my two key areas of responsibility) but that's after we have done the public act that is the daily office.

The daff's have been ordered (thank you Judy) and the service has been written (thank you kids) and Sunday is squared away. The Weddings are sorted and all the funerals before me are dealt with and so the foreground looks like I know what I'm doing (only an illusion I assure you).

A service for QARANC day has been sorted and the search for an organist (next week - Birmingham) continues and we are rapidly moving towards the annual church meeting and the unveiling of the results of our vision meetings.

Add to this engagements with various benefits agencies, a counsellor, grant-making bodies, more schools, a vocations discussion, preparation for Air cadet and Sea Cadet engagements and about fourteen things on the 'To Do / Contact' list. Add to this the 'Sustainability' related issues and then all that is left is the unexpected (which is sure to arise) and that's a day in prospect.

So, for those of you who are expecting the life of a cleric to be lightweight (did someone exploring vocations really describe it as 'lightweight' I ask myself?) and, "Mainly about Sunday," can I suggest that you look at the 'easy' day ahead and consider the role you are considering?

Happy Thursday

ps. forgot to add the paperwork to the list :-)

2 comments:

Bob said...

So much a vicar "only working a few hours on a Sunday and the odd wedding/funeral"......

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Too true Bob.


It was, as most days are, pretty full and saw me arriving home somewhere just short of 22:00 and yet, like most days, was one that saw me arrive home buzzing and full of joy at the clerical role.

You take the bob, you do the job and 'Pick and Mix' isn't on the sign above it. I just hope some of those who have engaged me in conversation regarding calling take this on board.

:-)

I love this job!