Tuesday 11 September 2012

Creepy Christians and the Media

Am I the only person who finds themselves reaching for the radio to change channel when the 'Creepy Christians' come on? Do you find yourself turned off by the various 'Christian' channels that can be found lurking just about the other 'interest' channels?

Listening to 'Yippee, I'm a Christian radio*' this morning whilst clearing the desk of mail, email, funerals and service longing to hear 'something that's of worth that will bless my heart' I find myself subjected to some well-meaning believer who is binding satan and calling us to be washed in the blood of the Lamb. As the radio calls us to warfare and to oppose all those sinners (which I assume is considered to be anyone who isn't like them perhaps?) I reach out and change the channel to another station. Being locked into the 'religious broadcasting' category I find myself assailed by someone explaining how belief in evolution and disbelief in a young earth leaves me well and truly labelled as an unbeliever. So I hit the button again and find myself listening to a wonderful piece of preaching which once the Amens, hallelujahs and Praise the Lords are done, has almost no content at all. What we have is a bunch of mottos loosely wrapped around a very subjectively interpreted Gospel passage.

I have to say that I long to find some sound teaching and some great Christian music without the froth, the demonology, prosperity and other heresies. Surely there are sone channels out there in the worldwide radio world? There must be some who will believe the Bible rather than the Perrettiesque angels vs demons, send your donation to . . . . stuff.

Stations where the shouting, rebuking of satan and the claiming of loadsa money, health and stuff in the name of Jesus just never happens?

Know a good station for good teaching, worship and an absence of the weirdness that makes for high incidence of Creepy Christians, big hair, flashy clothes and gold teeth?

Let me know and I'll willing give it (or them) a try!

Pax



*name changed to protect the guilty

6 comments:

Jude said...

http://www.ligonier.org/rym/

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

Seems that I'm destined to listen to it - giving it a go now.

Nancy Wallace said...

I never listen to 'Christian' radio channels for exactly the reasons you've given.

Vic Van Den Bergh said...

And if we struggle, what do non-Christians do when they happen across it?

Aaaargh :-)

Bob said...

I keep trying to listen to "Christian Radio". But I find myself either reaching for a barf bag, or screaming "get out there and get your own hands dirty"

Anonymous said...

No Christian Radio here - for the same reasons! HG