Sunday 24 May 2015

Night Prayer (Compline) on the eve of Pentecost

The Lord almighty grant us a quiet night and a perfect end. Amen.

Our help is in the name of the Lord who made heaven and earth.

A period of silence to reflect on the day now past

Most merciful God, I confess to you, before the whole company of heaven and one another, that I have sinned in thought, word and deed and in what I have failed to do.
Forgive me my sins, heal me by your Spirit and raise me to new life in Christ. Amen.

O God, make speed to save us. O Lord, make haste to help us.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen. 
Alleluia.

Before the ending of the day, Creator of the world, we pray
That you, with steadfast love, would keep Your watch around us while we sleep.

From evil dreams defend our sight, From fears and terrors of the night;
Tread underfoot our deadly foe That we no sinful thought may know.

O Father, that we ask be done Through Jesus Christ, your only Son;
And Holy Spirit, by whose breath Our souls are raised to life from death.


Psalm 86
Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and in misery.
Preserve my soul, for I am faithful; save your servant, for I put my trust in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God; I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer and listen to the voice of my supplication.
In the day of my distress I will call upon you, for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord, nor any works like yours.
All nations you have made shall come and worship you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name.
For you are great and do wonderful things; you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; knit my heart to you, that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and glorify your name for evermore;
For great is your steadfast love towards me, for you have delivered my soul from the depths of the grave.
O God, the proud rise up against me and a ruthless horde seek after my life; they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, Lord, are gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me; give your strength to your servant and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a token of your favour, that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed; because you, O Lord, have helped and comforted me.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.

I will pour out my spirit on all flesh; your sons and your daughters shall prophesy. The old shall dream dreams and the young shall see visions.
Joel 2.28

Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
AllInto your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
For you have redeemed me, Lord God of truth. I commend my spirit.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.
Keep me as the apple of your eye. Hide me under the shadow of your wings.


The Nunc Dimittis (Song of Simeon)
Alleluia.The Holy Spirit, the Advocate, alleluia,
shall teach us all things. Alleluia, alleluia.

Now, Lord, you let your servant go in peace: your word has been fulfilled.
My own eyes have seen the salvation which you have prepared in the sight of every people;
A light to reveal you to the nations and the glory of your people Israel.
Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; 
as it was in the beginning is now and shall be for ever. Amen.

Alleluia.The Holy Spirit, the Advocate, alleluia,
shall teach you all things. Alleluia, alleluia.

Intercessions, thanks and general prayers may be offered here.

The Collect
God, who as at this time taught the hearts of your faithful people by sending to them the light of your Holy Spirit: grant us by the same Spirit to have a right judgement in all things
and evermore to rejoice in his holy comfort; through the merits of Christ Jesus our Saviour, who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

In peace we will lie down and sleep; for you alone, Lord, make us dwell in safety.
Abide with us, Lord Jesus, for the night is at hand and the day is now past.
As the night watch looks for the morning, so do we look for you, O Christ.
Come with the dawning of the day and make yourself known in the breaking of the bread.

May the Holy Spirit of God bless and sanctify us so that we may be consecrated in the truth. Amen.

No comments: