Friday 11 March 2016

40 Acts - Day 27: ' Worth the wait '


People who dedicate their lives to service roles – whether they are waiting staff, airline hosts, or people on the end of a customer enquiry line – spend a lot of time giving out. It costs us very little to give back to them. Turn the roles on their head today and serve your server.


Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
John 13:14–15

Working as a missionary in China, it was my privilege to co-lead a weekly Bible study with the leader of a local house church. We didn’t have our own building, and so we would hire a private room in one of Beijing’s many bustling restaurants. Although my co-leader was a respected pastor, he would always help clear up after us, and chat to the restaurant staff.  At first the staff were embarrassed by having this older man help with menial tasks, but over the months he got into conversation with waiters and waitresses and found out about their home town and their family, and it was no surprise when people asked about our Bible study and wanted to go to church with him. The pastor was a talented evangelist, but his first contact was often an act of unconditional service.

I see the same attitude when I’m hanging out with the missionaries from London City Mission. They are always on first-name terms with local shopkeepers and café staff, and it is a habit that I have been trying my best to copy.

My colleague, Will, has a habit of saying thank you by name to waiters and shop assistants, and he follows it up with enquiries about family. Those simple conversations bring smiles to faces and break down barriers. Outings with Will often end up noisy affairs as waiters scold him for his love of chocolate biscuits or the failings of his favourite football team, but there can be serious moments too. I have seen deep emotion when Will has offered to pray for a relative struggling with cancer or a mum worrying about a son’s exams. His attitude of wanting to bless brings warmth and friendship in a city where loneliness is all too common.

As a Christian, I am called to follow the example of one who was willing to wash the feet of his disciples, so it shouldn’t be very hard for me to show kindness and respect to those whose job it is to serve.

Today's blog was written by Graham Miller from London City Mission.
Find out more about them and support their chosen charity here.

To see today's challenge in full - Click HERE

No comments: