Thursday 3 March 2016

Acts 40 - Day 20: ' Beam '


Smile – it’s free, it's contagious, and it brings feelings of warmth and happiness. Share your smile with everyone you meet today. Even smiling on your own is known to release endorphins and bring a sense of joy, so flash those gnashers and get your grin on.


Be full of joy always because you belong to the Lord. Again I say, be full of joy! 
(Philippians 4:4 NLV)


I’ve always been a firm believer that a smile has the power to improve the day of those around you. It certainly improved mine (albeit briefly) on holiday in France last summer.
My family had headed back to our mobile home to freshen up before going out for dinner while I caught the last few rays of the sun by the pool. As I strolled home through the park, a woman in a colourful sarong beamed at me from ear to ear and waved as she shouted, ‘Hey Gorgeous, do you fancy a drink?’
I stopped dead in my tracks, slightly flummoxed and was about to reply with ‘Well that’s very kind of you, and I’m extremely flattered, but I’m married’ when her young daughter sailed behind me on her scooter, responding with a cheery, ’Oh hi Mum, no I’m fine thanks, what time do you want me home for tea?’
A potentially embarrassing episode – and believe me, I have had many – was averted with just a split second to spare.
The story caused much hilarity as I relayed it to my wife and family later that evening, but the smile of the mystery lady, however unintended, made me smile and is something I try to do every day with friends and complete strangers.
I’ve seen the power a smile, a joke or a compliment can bring at the school gates, in the office, while playing sport or queuing in Sainsbury’s.
A smile is a gift you can give anyone, even a stranger. It costs you nothing. In fact it will probably cheer you up just doing it. But this cheapest of gifts can be priceless for the recipient as it lights up their day.
And you never know, they might smile back.


Today's blog was written by Steve Legg from Sorted Magazine. 
Find out more about them and support their chosen charity here.

To see today's Challenge in full: Click Here

No comments: