Tuesday 8 September 2009

Guilt by Association or by cowardice?

I am one of those Christians who believe that membership of the Christian Church is an optional (but desirable) state of being! I support those organisations who uphold, support, and promote Christian values and standards and stand against those that don't.

Of course, 'stand against' is a very interesting couple of words because even though I can use them, it doesn't actually mean much! After all, I am not one to be found chaining myself up to the railing outside the 'Society for the Promotion of Extreme Naughtiness and Things' (hereinafter called SPENT!). Neither am I one to write nasty anonymous letters (although I was accused of this by a foolish person who flaunts church law and postures greatly whilst doing so - struggling to take any upper ground available :)) or write letters to newspapers denying or decrying! In fact I am merely a below average campaigner masquerading as an Anglican Dog Collar and amateur theologian.

Recently I have seen some of the groups that I might support let their slips show rather badly. There are some who naturally assume power and some who have it thrust upon them whilst another group see power as something to be grasped and used (in my humble opinion) wrongly to make a point.

But what does it profit anyone to be able to make a point and by so doing score against those against whom they stand and yet deny truth, misrepresent fact and speak what those they claim are saying neither want said or wish to hear themselves? How do we handle this situation? Do we remove our support and perhaps weaken the voice against whatever it is we want a voice raised against? Do we stay silent and by our silence condemn us to being part of something we cannot support?

I struggle greatly with this issue as I see what appears to be extreme and unbiblical response allied with sensational reportage and what might easily be construed as merely malicious portrayals to elicit a knee jerk response from 'the faithful'.

Lines need to be drawn and the courage summoned such that we can say, "Not in my name!" More importantly perhaps, "Not in God's name either!"

What does it profit our cause (select your own) and how does it honour God and reflect the image of the Christ in our lives if we behave as unbelievers?

Let's pray that today we will have the courage to make a stand for right and act against those who sin regardless of the sin and regardless of the position they claim or appear to be supporting. Many who claim to be 'for' God are, by their very actions and heart, surely denying Him and snatching the victory that is God's away from Him! Whose side are we on and how should we be living this out?

Pax,

Vic

No comments: