Sunday 3 January 2010

Common Tenure

Recently I was invited to one of three meetings spread across the diocese in which I find myself working. One in the evening, one in the daytime and one at a weekend. One in each of the three areas within the diocese (would have been handier had there been at least two of the three on offer in each area - the daytime is the furthest away and the nearest clashes with booked and set in concrete appointments). The meetings are to tell me just what 'Common Tenure' (CT) is all about of course - apparently something which affects us all.

I am already hearing so much from so many regarding this. Those with the 'freehold' are telling me that this is a way of the establishment getting its 'greedy little hands' on their parish treasures. Accordingly, those who are in this boat tell me they will retain their freehold until the retire knowing that then it will be gone for ever once they do. Those who are without freeholds and live in the wonderful world of licences, like me, see that this is merely bringing the 60% who do have freehold into the same position as us and wonder at the frenzy and vitriol that is raised by this issue.

Some see the CT issue and little more than a means by which the diocese can get its paws on the assets of the parishes which will lose their freehold, hence the fact that some will retain the freehold until they die, leave or are carted away in a straight-jacket (nearer for some than they ever imagine in my opinion!). Others tell me it is a means of quelling dissent and exercising control over the clergy with the threat of expulsion from living and home should the line not be toed. A few, thinking types, tell me that there's nothing 'common' about it and some will be in houses which are in a ghastly state and not bothered with by the diocese (feel free to visit us any time) whilst others are living in splendour and sometime even opulence.  Some who need the space as incumbents live in shoeboxes whilst others (kids grown up, no pastoral visiting at the home and the like) have so much space they rattle around in their assigned billets.

Now I don't know anything about this issue. As ever I listen and try to make sense of what I hear. I hear moans that bishops are open-ended licence holders (surely they retain ALL the freehold when common tenure is applied) whilst everyone else will be licenced for five years. I see results of tribunals and employment legislation which tells me that licence-holders have as much, if not more, rights than freeholders and sit here bemused and highly entertained. Mind you, considering that during one of my waking moments in ordination training I am sure I heard someone say that the Synod was put in place as a temporary measure.

I see benefits and hear of perils. For some clergy review and development is a form of restriction and control but having come from the financial sector where I, and my teams' were all subject to review and observation (at times with the result that they were developed 'up' or eased' out')   as a matter of course. this is something that happens in the real world and having met some who could fit their 'busy' week into a standard day here I can understand their fears! Of course, there will also be accountability and for some this is an intrusion into their little worlds - they do what they do and this privacy covers a multitude of heroic acts withering inactivity alike.

The reality is that no one will know what we have until we have it and then, perhaps, it will be too late. Perhaps the system will only be as good as the pointy head in charge (or perhaps, just as in parliamentary circles  the drones who administrate and support the PH). Some of those who are more concerned with matters financial will see themselves for what they are - accountants with dog-collars (and shame on them for that - for we need prudent managers but we need them to retain their calling first and foremost). The potential for a change in the ecclesiological balance of the CofE is immense and the fear that clergy will become mere 'employees' (and thus need membership of a trade union) is rippling below the surface.

So where do we go? What do we get? Building the kingdom or merely recounting the money?

I wait with interest.

No comments: