Wednesday 28 July 2010

Communion Going to the Dogs!

The Reverend Marguerite Rea of St Peter's Anglican Church, Toronto, appears to have set a new trend in communion by feeding a dog, Trapper, communion bread!

Her Area Bishop, Patrick Yu, called her actions "strange and shocking" and said she had broken rules regarding communion.

The reverend lady herself sees her actions as nothing less than a "simple church act of reaching out to a new congregation member and his pet".  She continues, "If I have hurt, upset or embarrassed anyone, I apologise."

The new member, Donald Keith, attending for the first time recounts the happening thus:

"The minister welcomed me and said come up and take communion, and Trapper came up with me and the minister gave him communion as well. I thought it was a nice way to welcome me into the church. I thought it was acceptable. There was an old lady in the front just beaming when she saw this."

It seems to me that it's not just Trapper who's barking in this story!

What fun we have across the globe as Anglicans - who needs people to work against us when we do so well ourselves?


(A demonstration of the proper way to receive communion)

No comments: