Monday 7 May 2012

MPs and accountability

Or perhaps this should be 'lack of accountability'?

Since the division over whether or not Rupert Murdoch was fit to run News International and Newscorp in the house of common's culture committee I decided that I would seek to find out the facts regarding this. On one side we had Paul Farrelly telling us that the 'not fit' clause was tabled and discussed whilst, on the opposite side, we had Louise Mensch telling us that this was untrue.

Obviously we had three scenarios before us:

Both Farrelly and Mensch were mistaken in their understanding of what had been tabled and when,

Mensch was wrong in stating that the clause had neither been tabled and discussed, or

Farrelly was wrong in stating that it had.

So to find out what had happened I wrote to Farrelly and Mensch. Having heard nothing I also wrote to Whittingale (the chair of the committee) and to Tom Watson but to date - I have heard nothing from them. I have also contacted my local MP to ask if he could provide some clarification.

Obviously it's holiday time and so I'll leave it another few days and then take the game up the ladder a bit, but I do find this rather sad that the select committee looks flawed, biased and dare I say it, just a little corrupt. That said I find it more worrying that MP look as if they are not accountable to the electorate!

In case you are wondering who the members of the committee were, a little help:


Still waiting out (now who do I write to next?)

Pax

No comments: